Usb serial port question

blown96w

hey I have a question, I got a lab top from work that I want to use for my system, But it dose not have a serial port so I went staples and bought a usb to serial port adapter. I read a post about setting up the com ports I have tried com ports 1,2,4 setting up the fast system and the devise manager the same, still ecm could not be found. I plugged the my laptop in and it communicates fine. Any ideas no what I need to do?

Thanks in advance

blown96w said:
hey I have a question, I got a lab top from work that I want to use for my system, But it dose not have a serial port so I went staples and bought a usb to serial port adapter. I read a post about setting up the com ports I have tried com ports 1,2,4 setting up the fast system and the devise manager the same, still ecm could not be found. I plugged the my laptop in and it communicates fine. Any ideas no what I need to do?

Thanks in advance

Be sure that the laptop doesn't already have a COM1 already installed in the device manager. Some laptops will do this in spite of the fact that they don't have a serial port on the back of the machine. You can also check the BIOS to make sure that it's not trying to allocate any resources to a COM port.

You say that you're setting the COM port in the device manager. I'm assuming, then, that you're finding the USB-to-serial adapter and setting which COM port you want it to use. Is that correct?