You can type here any text you want

Using Direct Scan and Thrasher

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BJM

I see in the Direct Scan manual that Thrasher chips often cause problems. What sort of problems could I expect, minor blips or a complete melt down of the ECM. Just wanted to check before I tried my old Thrasher chip in my car again. Why do these chips in particular have this problem?

Nothing will melt down and the car should run okay. Tom rewrote a bunch of the code and moved some of the data around in the Thrashers, so directscan reports incorrect values for some things. Most notable is the timing; ds will show absurdly high values.

The Direct Scan manual implies something will go wrong as opposed to just showing odd data.

BTW who is this Tom guy I have heard snippets about him in the past. It sounded like he gave up chip development because he was pissed off at various people.

You can search the archives at gnttype for the full story. Tom Chou is a powertrain engineer at ac delco who does ecm calibrations for a living. He got interested in TR's and started doing chips for a friend (Heath Elmer who's car was in an early GMHTP), and this evolved into the Thrasher chips which he started selling. An unamed TR vendor then threatened to go to ac delco and raise a fuss, and to sue Tom personally, because he had some kind of "unfair advantage" over other TR chipmakers. Since merely responding to a lawsuit, no matter how frivolous, would have been a tremendous financial burden on Tom, he decided to walk away. He gave his latest chip images to several of his beta testers and told them that they were free to distribute them basically at cost if they wanted to, so they are still available for about $25 which barely covers the cost of chip, carrier, time, and postage, from people like Scott Simpson and others. I was a beta tester for his red-stripe chip, which he never really finished, and he never got started on a chip for 50's since those were either just out or hadn't come out yet when he stopped, but his stock injector and blue top chips are very very good. He was also working with Dave Buckshaw on stuff for the supercharged 3800's, and Dave is carrying on the Thrasher name with those products but has nothing to do with TR's.

I was just learning chipmaking for myself when Tom got into TR's, and we had many very interesting email exchanges and a few phone conversations, where I think we both learned a lot, and I think the TR world is worse off for his absence.

Sounds shameful what happened, it sounds like he was a real innovator, separate PE RPM tables for each gear is pretty cool. Among other things.

Back