You can type here any text you want

Using the XFI to control WOT torque convertor lock up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNVAIR

Hi, I have an XFI on my father's car and with the 9x11 torque convertor it is definitely not very efficient in 3rd gear unlocked. I am curious if anyone has any experience with setting up convertor lock up with the XFI. I have played around with the mph and tps %, but was hoping if someone had a better way of explaining it.

Using XFI for torque converter lock up

We used this feature some when we ran a 200R4 with a lock up converter. I assume you're using the factory speedometer sensor. There is a lot of filtering (averaging) in the XFI and the factory speed sensor, so the harder you accelerate, the more the XFI will lag behind.

The first thing you have to do is set up the XFI so that the speed recorded is the actual speed of the car. To set this up, from the main menu, go to 'View', 'System Configuration', 'Sensor Calibration' and finally 'Rate Sensor Calibration'. Using the stock 3.42 gears, and 28" tall slicks, we came up with 750 for the 'Driveshaft RPM calibration' and 1482 for the 'MPH calibration'. As long as were going at a static speed, the XFI matched exactly a GPS at 30 and 60 MPH. However, as I said above, there is a lot of averaging. XFI would show only 110 MPH when I was really going 140 MPH.

The next step is to tell XFI what speed you want to lock up the converter. To do this, from the main menu, go to 'View', then 'TCC Lockup Parameters'. Set the minimum TPS for lockup, minimum MPH for lockup and the TCC lockup delay. The converter will lock up once the minimum MPH is achieved and after the delay. I believe the minimum delay that XFI will save is 0.1 seconds.

If you're only going to use this feature for cruising it will probably work fine. If you want something for the track, contact Cal Hartline. He sells a speedmotor sensor that will work with XFI and is much more accurate.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Scott. I had played around with the rate sensor calculation. The formula FAST has listed on their website was way off and it became a trial and error thing trying to calibrate it to match the speedometer.
But I will try tomorrow to see if I can get the WOT lock up right.

Back