V6 Alternator Bracket

Captain Calais

Hey!

I'm struggling to find an alternator bracket for my NA Buick 231, 3.8 V6 (carbureted). I was hoping someone would have one they could sell me. I need the bracket for a motor WITHOUT A/C. I you have one, let me know!

I've got a couple of the HA brackets here if you're interested. It would eliminate the AIR pump but you could still mount the A/C if you wanted to later. Send me a PM if you want more info. They're aluminum.

It's a Canadian car, so it doesn't have an air pump. But it can't be for A/C either, because the alternator needs to be relocated when A/C compressor is removed to properly turn the water pump.

It's a Canadian car, so it doesn't have an air pump. But it can't be for A/C either, because the alternator needs to be relocated when A/C compressor is removed to properly turn the water pump.

Not really. Take a look at some of the HA SFI cars and how the alternator mounts. It's on the top passenger side and the A/C compressor is on the bottom. Much cleaner mounting and there's no extras. Plus it's aluminum so it's lighter.

On a '79 N/A car with A/C (Canadian car, no air pump), the alternator is further to the middle of the motor and the A/C compressor further to the passenger side. The A/C compressor belt is on a better angle to turn the water pump. Remove that belt (or the A/C altogether) and that leaves the alternator belt as the lone belt turning the water pump. BUT since the alternator is near the middle of the motor, the belt doesn't grip the water pump pulley well enough and slips.

N/A cars without A/C have their alternator mounted where the A/C compressor would be for this exact reason, to get better grip on the water pump pulley, using a different style of bracket. If this wasn't required, GM wouldn't have bothered making two different brackets and changing the locations of the alternator on the motor.

Trust me, I'm running it right now with the alternator on a A/C included bracket, and the belt slips when the fan clutch kicks in during warmer days. Smells awful and chirps.

And no, I haven't found one yet.

And also, the setup is V-Belt, not serpintine. So it was WAAAAAY less grip when required.

The HA cars are V belt driven. Just trying to help you get a better set up and make it a little lighter. Take a look at the pic. This would relocate the alternator to the top of the passenger side of the engine.

Attachments

• Matt%204_1%20Engine1.JPG
    Matt%204_1%20Engine1.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 67
Huh! You are very right! I see what you're talking about now, sorry if I sounded like I didn't believe you.

BUT (yes, there is a but) the water pump pulley for the HA system is way larger than on my setup. In your picture you can clearly see that the alternator belt is sufficently wrapping around the water pump. In the setup I have, the pulley is much smaller, making it so the belt is just grazing the water pump, hence why the '79 motors had the alternator in a different spot for when there was no A/C.

My alternator is located in the exact same spot as the HA engine. So I guess we can safely say we are both right. your bracket would work if my water pump pulley was larger, but the bracket with the A/C still won't work for me because it's not.

Thanks for your input and help though, much appreciated.

Not familular with the Canadian design but the American design puts the AIR pump in that position and the alternator under it. That may be what you're looking for then. I'll see about taking a pic of my 83 and post it so we have a better idea of what you're looking for. I may just have some spare brackets that'll work.

Just found the bracket I'm looking for. Thanks for your help charlief1. I'll post picture of the before and after just as reference for anyone in the future.

bracket

I think I have the bracket your looking for, but I saw that you found a bracket, is this the setup you were looking for? Check out the pics.

Attachments

• img_0919.jpg
    img_0919.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 52
  • img_0920.jpg
    img_0920.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
  • img_0921.jpg
    img_0921.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 52
  • img_0922.jpg
    img_0922.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 51
That's exactly it (minus the air pump). Alternator is moved to where the A/C compressor would be.

Thanks for posting that picture.

That aluminum bracket looks similar to an alternator bracket for a 70s era Buick 350 without air conditioning. So this bracket should be readily available.

You can get them off ebay. They've been used since the 60's on the early V6 and V8 cars into the 70's. I started to do this but I like my A/C so I decided to go with the HA bracket.