V8 to V6 Turbo Power? Help me out!

TurboLag

Hello,
I currently have a 1971 Chevelle that has a built big block 502ci motor, TH400 trans and a Ford 9" rear end. I've built and loved this car for the past 5 years but I've been getting the itch for something new and I've been thinking about making the switch from V8 power to Buick V6 Turbo power. That would mean selling the Chevelle and picking up a GN.
So besides introducing myself here in this tread I also wanted to get some of your opinions about making this switch. Preferably you guys that have made this switch. Should I do it? What are some of the pros and cons that I can expect? Any information and input would be great. Thanks for your help.

now on to a small bit of information about me.
I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life and I've always had a passion for cars... fast cars. I love working on them just as much as I do driving them. Before I'm even finished with a project or upgrade I'm already thinking about what I can do next.
I also love shooting guns, hanging out with my wife and our dog and just relaxing whenever I get some time.

I look forward to getting to know some of you here on this site.
Thanks

Welcome. Got any pics of the Chevelle. I'd have a hard time trading the Chevelle, but I do love my GN.

If you can swing it. I'd pick up a GN before selling the Chevelle.

Keep the Chevelle and put a 274 CID turbo v6 TA engine in it. Now that would be different!!

Welcome. Got any pics of the Chevelle. I'd have a hard time trading the Chevelle, but I do love my GN.

If you can swing it. I'd pick up a GN before selling the Chevelle.

Here are a few pics

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

I got rid of my 66 Chevelle when we were expecting a baby. Car was too radical for family use, roll bar, no back seat, etc. Decided to put it up for sale and sold it at the last car show I went to. Didn't feel like building another car from scratch so thought, what would have all the creature comforts that was family friendly and still go like stink? Buick Grand National seemed to fit the bill and had a 4700 mile one sitting in the garage two weeks after the Chevelle was gone. Could only afford one play toy so the choice to get rid of the Chevelle was tough but necessary.

Toughest thing at first was getting used to not having that big block Chevy exhaust note but the unreal torque of the Buick Turbo V-6 quickly made up for it. At first I wasn't used to blending in with the crowd after being used to turning heads with the Chevelle. Now 16 years later I get that same feeling again as lots of people now know what these cars are about.

Funny thing is, my son who is now 15 could care less about going to car shows or cruise nites or to the track so I could have ended up keeping the Chevelle.:rolleyes: Hoping someday he comes around but not forcing it on him.:rolleyes: Do I regret selling it? Every day BUT I also wouldn't have ended up meeting some great people and starting a part time business that caters to these cars. Helped buy my house too! After not seeing the Chevelle for 15 years after selling to someone out of state it turned up last year a couple miles from my house. Nice finding out where it is after all these years but couldn't quite bring myself to sell the GN to try and buy it back.

Oh yeah, one of the Canada members of the board is in the market for a Chevelle. Maybe he would be interested in yours? He also has a TR but don't think he is looking to get rid of it.

Welcome to the board!

I have a close friend looking fir a Chevelle, if you should decide to sell, send me a pm. I've had both small and big block powered cars, including an Apollo white GSX and there is nothing like the feel of a well running and tuned turbo v6. Welcome.

Toughest thing at first was getting used to not having that big block Chevy exhaust note but the unreal torque of the Buick Turbo V-6 quickly made up for it. At first I wasn't used to blending in with the crowd after being used to turning heads with the Chevelle. Now 16 years later I get that same feeling again as lots of people now know what these cars are about.

Thanks so much for the reply. This is exactly what I'm interested in hearing about. You've been there and done it.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm not having a kid or anything but I definitely dont have the extra funds nor the extra space to keep the Chevelle and pick up another toy. I'm gonna have to choose. My number 1 biggest worry is REGRET. I dont wanna make a decision and then go on regretting it forever. I know there are a lot of differences between the two and if I do make the decision to give Buick Turbo power a try I want to do it and not look back.
Thanks again for your input.

Sometimes the new experience overpowers the regret.:smile: Here is what I gave up. And what I have now.

Attachments

• LASTPIC.jpg
    LASTPIC.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 78
  • gnmotor.jpg
    gnmotor.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 69
  • gnpics_032.jpg
    gnpics_032.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 71
Sometimes the new experience overpowers the regret.:smile: Here is what I gave up. And what I have now.

Wow, both are beautiful! What size blower did you have on top of that Chevelle? Almost looks like a 10-71.
Last year I tried out an 8-71 blower! It was beastly to say the least! Took me all winter to get it on and ready. I fired it up last spring and spun a bearing shortly after. I felt like dieing. After tearing down the motor I had to sell the blower in order to get the Chevelle back up for this summer. Now just a strong N/A 502ci motor. But still tons of fun, retarded amounts of torque from idle on up.
I agree with you about trying a new experience. Keeps things interesting.
How was it switching from something as mechanical as a blown big block to a Buick GN?

blower1.jpg

How fast is teh Chevelle and what is your ET goal with the GN if u go that way

Not sure what 1/4 mile times the Chevelle is laying down. I just got it back up and running this spring. I hope to get it out to the track sometime soon. As far as what my goals would be for a GN... I'm not really sure. All I know is that I'm a horsepower junkie! The thunderous sound of a BBC, the screaming sound of a 20psi turbo car or a bike ripping it all the way up to 16,000 rpm's makes the hair stand up on my arms! That is what gets me through the long hours at work each week.
So my goal for a GN would probably be the same goal I have for any vehicle; fast and nasty! :D