You can type here any text you want

Vac brake question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MDTType87

New here (again) My 87 sat for a 1+year. Got her going again and want to do Vac brakes as PM just went up, was kinda scary! Question is are the 4 bolts holding the PM adapter to firewall the same holding the petal inside the car? or are there different nuts for the petal? I plan on drilling the PM petal and weld a new pin, which I saw in a discussion on this site. I looked under dash(after removing panel and see the 4 nuts which I think are for the PM adapter but can't tell if these nuts also hold the petal on. Thanks
MDTType87

The brake booster bolts up in the adapters location. The pedal is then attached to the booster. So, different nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4 nuts inside need to be removed and the PM will be loose at the firewall. The booster studs bolts to the firewall using these same nuts and location. These nuts are 15mm hex.

The pedal is on a bracket under the dash and pivots on a bolt. The hex on the bolt is 5/8" and the nut is 11/16".

The 4 nuts inside need to be removed and the PM will be loose at the firewall. The booster studs bolts to the firewall using these same nuts and location. These nuts are 15mm hex.

The pedal is on a bracket under the dash and pivots on a bolt. The hex on the bolt is 5/8" and the nut is 11/16".

Thanks for the info, would it be of any help in reaching the pivot bolt to lower sterring column? If so is it just the bolts on either side of column?

I think you'd get more mileage out of removing the seat ( four nuts) than dropping the column. I pulled my seat out when I converted and it was a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Dan said, removing the seat and dropping the column by removing 2 nuts is the only way I can reach up to the pivot bolt which is way up in the dash!

The use of a ratchet wrench and a regular one makes removing the pivot bolt much easier.

Been a while since I did this, but IIRC, there is one additional bolt to remove the entire bracket. Removing the bracket with the pedal attached makes it easier to work on.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back