You can type here any text you want

Vacuum Brake Poll

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What have you done or plan to do about the failing Powermaster?

• Keeping the Powermaster. It works better than vaccum and I will pay whatever to keep my TB stock.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Just hanging in there with the Powermaster. If I get any more hassles, I will switch.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • I have converted to vacuum brakes and will never go back to the unreliable Powermaster.

Votes: 64 61.5%
  • I have the vacuum brakes and are unhappy, and plan to switch back to the Powermaster.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WLDWST

How many of you are tired of the Powermaster and have made the switch over to vacuum brakes? I am curious as to the percentage. I have a conversion kit sitting here and I can't make up my mind. Been through the hard pedal BS. I have the parts to fix it, but I hate the unreliability factor.

Happy with powermaster right now...no problems...but I drive it maybe once a week and am only at 37k miles, so I'm sure problems will arise at some point.

Now with you all say unreliable, what does this mean? Does the stock MC have an issues with no stopping all the time?

Powermaster

I voted for sticking with the PM because it was the closest option to my thoughts.

Personally, I prefer the PM as I feel it is superior to vaccum. I will stick with it until it is no longer practical to keep it. As in the parts are either no longer available or so rediculously expensive I can't afford it.

Then I'm switching to hydroboost. No vaccum for me.

JMHO

SVORay said:
Now with you all say unreliable, what does this mean? Does the stock MC have an issues with no stopping all the time?

I think it's inevitable that a braking system that has that many electrical and hydralic components will eventually be a problem. The Powermaster is a great working unit when GM supported it and the parts were available and inexpensive. As soon as you have to pay for obsolete brake parts, that is when it gets stupid. A relatively inexpensive vacuum conversion can be had from your local bone yard or from vendors like GBodyParts or Red ( for those that like a kit). I have all the parts to fix my Powermaster, but the cost of the parts were unjustified in my opinion. If I ever sell my car I can give the new owner a box with the Powermaster parts in it. I think I will make the conversion and see if I like it. If not, then I can put it back in.
Keep voting guys.

WLDWST said:
...If I ever sell my car I can give the new owner a box with the Powermaster parts in it...

I'll save you the hassle.
Just give then to me! :biggrin:

The parts cost is stupid. All of my PM failures were sudden, no warning, no hard peddle, just the stupid brake light and pray the car stops in time. I'm not going back.
John

I've had my vacuum conversion on over a year and a half now, I kep the PM in a box, but it's not going back on the car. I had previously replaced the pressure switch twice and the accumulator ball once. When I pulled it off, i found one of the lower hoses had been leaking too... all over my firewall. Thankfully it had only damaged the paint and not started eating away at the metal.

I got the brake pedal from a junk yard for $5, bought a new master cylinder/booster assembly from Bumper to Bumper for $120, and never looked back.

6APPEAL said:
The parts cost is stupid. All of my PM failures were sudden, no warning, no hard peddle, just the stupid brake light and pray the car stops in time. I'm not going back.
John

Turbo6inKY said:
When I pulled it off, i found one of the lower hoses had been leaking too... all over my firewall. Thankfully it had only damaged the paint and not started eating away at the metal.

Brake failure and ruined paint jobs...ya, it's totaly worth keeping it stock :eek: Well I got a very sick gear box but once that is fixed, I'm doing a vaccum swap.

I can hold 10 lbs on the footbrake and if EVERYTHING breaks I can fix it for $150 :rolleyes: PM sux dingaling

Robert: For purposes of this thread, I think that a very low mileage car such as yours shows better with the stupid looking powermaster. I think that if a car had over 70K miles on it I would consider changing over to something else. I am planning on seeing what goes on over the upcoming years regarding parts availability and prices. In the meantime, here's the gameplan;
about 2 years ago, I bought kirban's last complete brand new in the box powermaster, like $850 or $900 to my door. And about 1 year ago, I picked up 2 brand new in the box powermaster accumulator bowls and 2 brake pressure switches in various purchases. I guess we will see if it was a good move or not. My car is just under 20K right now.

Gary
I am always open to your suggestions. I guess I will have to think about this awhile. Don't forget, the conversion is not irreversible. This time it looks like my Powermaster motor is toast. I have an extra accumulator ball and several switches. I may try to get an NOS motor somehow. As long as I don't need a mortgage to pay for it. If I do go with the vacuum setup, I have all new parts and will probably do something like zinc plate or powdercoat the booster. It will look good after I am done. Just not stock. As far as the poll reveals, there doesn't seem to be many disatisfied vacuum users out there. I have also thrown the idea of the new hydraboost kit around too.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/products/a_g_body/

Looks like a clean install.

Go vacuum. If people complain about the vacuum not working its not the vacuum part. Something in your system isnt working right. I have no problems at all holding boost, locking up the tires, or just stopping in general. I have the vacuum kit from gbodyparts and s10 wheel cylinders.

Jason

Robert:
I am not questioning your judgement. Your decisions have always been sound. There is at least 1 place down here in So Cal that rebuilds the pm complete for about $ 500 or so. I can find their name if you need it. I am sure that you will be happy with converting over to vacuum. If you sold your car to me, you could avoid all of this unnecessary stress. J/K, Robert, but it is such a beautiful car, and almost a twin to mine. Mine's slower, but I have done some suspension modifications to mine. And Ic an't even imagine selling mine. Good luck.

I also converted to vacuum and never looked back at the power master unit!!!

Low Miles show cars -------Keep Powermaster
Modified or high miles -------Vacuum all the way!!!!!!

I went vac about a month ago....happy so far. I need the S-10 cylinders though. I had a problem with the motor on my PM running non-stop, no blown fuses though. Tried a known good accumulator, but the problem persisted. Wasn't going to waste money buying and trying... Once I test all the seperate pieces of my PM on a friends car I'll sell them off to pay for more suspension stuff. :D

Back