You can type here any text you want

Vacuum brakes conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Disclaimer
I have no relation to any one here or bought any ones Brake products.

I never had a problem of the line as I would let the car idle (build vac) then hole the pedal for the Boost launch.
My problem was the hard driving true traffic (hit the gas, hit the brake hit the gas then try and stop at that red light hope the seat doesn't rip of the floor board.:eek:

But this doesn't seem to matter to any one here as the only problem for them is at the line.
Well how many times you hold "x" pounds at the light Vs just trying to stop at the light.

And I had 2 check valves and an extra vac canister.

I would not put my money in vac brakes for a forced induction car.
Because of MY experiences in my car.

Disclaimer

I never had a problem of the line as I would let the car idle (build vac) then hole the pedal for the Boost launch.
My problem was the hard driving true traffic (hit the gas, hit the brake hit the gas then try and stop at that red light hope the seat doesn't rip of the floor board.:eek:

I would not put my money in vac brakes for a forced induction car.
Because of MY experiences in my car.

Been there, done that! That's why I'm attempting the HB setup now.:biggrin: Does scare the crap :eek: outta ya when you're in that situation:redface: ....must be because I'm a terrible driver.:rolleyes:

Ever thought about something else being wrong with your vac brakes you just never found?

I never have any problem like that with the GN or the TTA.:cool:

BTW, I've never bought brake parts from either of these guys either.

But I have given POWERBRAKEBOB an oppurtunity to use his companies 57 years experience to dispel or prove what he says. Hard facts, not opinions would make the difference to most potential buyers of his product.

well after new Booster MC and Prop valve and a ton of bleeding.:mad:
i finally found the problem
it was that i couldn't find any vac wile hard stop and go driving.:mad:
My car had ZERO vac or boost leaks.
but this was just my experiance in my car may be IT just didn't like vac. brakes:confused:

Sometimes I think things work or not. But I've seen stuff my car liked that others didn't.:confused: Maybe the same is true in this case. I'm no pro for sure. Just know what works for me. If you remember to, please post results when you get hooked up. Inquiring minds would like to know:biggrin:

Well, hundreds if not thousands of we TR owners are satisfied with our vacuum brakes while some may not be. Hey, I'm for whatever floats our boats. Don't forget, I have nothing at all against any other system, including the hydro-boost. Hey, I like the powermaster but parts are too expensive and may not be available. I'm just against misinformation and that's what my rant was about.

Powerbrake Bob I have been on this forum for a year now and every time I read your post I think the same thing so I finally going to ask . Why do you shove your product down everyone throats . Let you product do the talking . I really dont see alot of people raving about it . Whenever a brake conversion comes up I know you are going to be there . I know somewhere in the thread you are going to get into it with Red T regal or 87Gn/ 87zues not sure . They just both offer different alternatives to yours and will always say we have the right to buy what the consumer wants and can afford . Your product can be a good as you say it is but it is price prohibative for alot of people in this hobby .
At this point I dont even read what you say in the threads I skip over them .
I would expect you to pitch your product that is why you are in business and a matter of fact I like your web site . It does a pretty good job selling your product . Back off a little . Let your product and customers do the talking . You have said enough . We all know your system is the best .

I just want to summarize every brake Problem :
Help my brake light is on what do I do
87 zues will Reply : There is nothing wrong with the powermaster system if you properly maintain it . Here is a web site to trouble shoot . If you can not read I will help you step by step
Red Regal will Reply : First of all a customer usually replies I switched to vacuum contact red Regal . Red Regal says read the forum I dont have any complaints send me your 150.00 I will send you the coversion kit with instuctions any problems here is my number . It works
Powerbrake bob will reply " you two shut up . Here is the best forget about the rest get hydroboost and here is three paragraphs to explain why . Say anything againt it and I will jump on you with another three paragraphs . this is the only solution .
Why has this issue rubbed me the wrong way today I dont know . I just am a little tired of it .
Yes I switched to vacuum bought my system from Reg Regal .He was one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with from the Web but in the end there was nothing wrong with my powermaster . I just didnt read 87 Zues instructions and in the end all that was wrong was that my front brake lines were clogged and needed to be replaced . I still didnt have 600 for the hydroboost .
By the way where is spell check? I feel better now . I know there will be no stopping PowerbrakeBobs Diatribes

I just want to summarize every brake Problem :
Help my brake light is on what do I do
87 zues will Reply : There is nothing wrong with the powermaster system if you properly maintain it . Here is a web site to trouble shoot . If you can not read I will help you step by step

:biggrin:

Red Regal will Reply : First of all a customer usually replies I switched to vacuum contact red Regal . Red Regal says read the forum I dont have any complaints send me your 150.00 I will send you the coversion kit with instuctions any problems here is my number . It works

:biggrin:

Powerbrake bob will reply " you two shut up . Here is the best forget about the rest get hydroboost and here is three paragraphs to explain why . Say anything againt it and I will jump on you with another three paragraphs . this is the only solution .
Why has this issue rubbed me the wrong way today I dont know . I just am a little tired of it .

:(

Yes I switched to vacuum bought my system from Reg Regal .He was one of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with from the Web

My sentiments ... exactly. (check is in the mail) :wink:

but in the end there was nothing wrong with my powermaster . I just didnt read 87 Zues instructions and in the end all that was wrong was that my front brake lines were clogged and needed to be replaced . I still didnt have 600 for the hydroboost .

Who does?

By the way where is spell check? I feel better now . I know there will be no stopping PowerbrakeBobs Diatribes

You spelled well. :biggrin:

I'm not "Mr Red". And I have a GN(DO YOU!!!!). It has vac brakes with no trans brake. I can hold 12+ lbs of boost on the line!

You also have your guinea pig...cause I gotta TTA also.

But you answered my question...you haven't done any testing on a TR or you wouldn't be asking us for test vehicles:eek:

And I quote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Brake Service Has Been In Business Since 1950. Hardly A Huckster Type. We Are The Only Appointed Bosch Distributor For New Hydroboosts In The U.s. Not Only The Hydroboost, But The Entire Line Of Bosch Brake And Engine Parts.

So I can't buy a bosch o2 sensor at autozone???? BS

So you've been in business for 57 years and have no hard facts to back up your claims and want John DiCarlo to do the testing for you??? I wonder why he called you a huckster. You want to prove your point once and for all...
I got the cars for the test. Come down here and prove it. You are willing to make money off of this board with unsubstansiated claims you can't put hard facts to. I'll help you out. Come here and use my cars for test purposes. The door is WIDE open for you to put yor money where your mouth is. We will video it or whatever it takes to be scientific and prove it. And if you're right you will truly be able to back up your claims and make well DESERVED money from the people on this forum.

Whatcha wanna do?

powerbrakebob...I know you have read this. Will you respond?....

This is your big chance.

yeah, i was feeling the same way.
Also, what good is 2000psi of pressure when there is nowhere for the heat to go in the disks? An upgraded pedal and apply system doesnt do any good if your already glazing the pads. And enough pressure to spread the castings?? yeah thats all we need, spread a casting and hope it doesnt break.
The answer is obviously upgraded front brakes and the cheap, common vacuum system or manuals. For the price of your kit anyone could pay for a vaccuum conversion AND a S10 brake swap on the front end. You think a hydroboost will out stop that? spend the same money for each and try to compare. dont think so. the problem is in the brake itself and the hydroboost is just a bandaid.
Gary

This is one entertaining thread. It's like watching political debates on TV. Anyway the reason I chimed in is because I purchased the HydroBoost from Bob and they do work as he states.
I am not defending any brake system I just had a horrible experience with vacuum brakes and could not get it resolved. Tried to find the best vacuum source, replaced the booster, replaced the master cylinder, upgraded the rear cylinders, bleed 2 gallons of brake fluid through the system and it never got better. Took it to a brake shop, took it to friends who know brakes. Needless to say I was at the end of my rope and I knew that money was going to be spent so I purchased the HB brakes and they have been incredible.
Hopefully no one will experience the problems I did and I am glad to have them behind me now.

Life is funny . I went to a car show yesterday and the first car I walk up to is a pro-street 55 Chevy with a blower on it . I take a peek under the hood and what do I see Hydro-boost . I walk 4 feet look to the right what do I see another car with Hydroboost . I had to laugh at the irony of it all . Power Brake bob you might be the nicest guy and people do buy your products.
I will just reiterate my point from yesterday dont beat us over the head with your products and attack people the offer other options . I saw to back to back examples of different applications yesterday ,and they make for a very clean under the hood look . That still dosent make it my only choice as a consumer .

This is one entertaining thread. It's like watching political debates on TV. Anyway the reason I chimed in is because I purchased the HydroBoost from Bob and they do work as he states.
I am not defending any brake system I just had a horrible experience with vacuum brakes and could not get it resolved. Tried to find the best vacuum source, replaced the booster, replaced the master cylinder, upgraded the rear cylinders, bleed 2 gallons of brake fluid through the system and it never got better. Took it to a brake shop, took it to friends who know brakes. Needless to say I was at the end of my rope and I knew that money was going to be spent so I purchased the HB brakes and they have been incredible.
Hopefully no one will experience the problems I did and I am glad to have them behind me now.

Well, IMO, if you never had a problem with vacuum, but you decided to install the hydro-boost and were happy with it, I'd be happy for you. I'm glad you got your problem solved. ;)

Entertainment

WELL....HMMM...We could all use a laugh, I guess. Yes, I am a nice guy, and I do have a genuine concern for high performance people to be able to drive their cars with speed and safety. If I sound blunt, it is because I have devoted 60 hours a week for 40 years straight to building the best brake systems available, and affordable to everyone. I do put "it" out there. I apologize to anyone who feels that I "shoved it down their throat". Not my intention. Brake systems are the most misunderstood, and taken for granted, part of cars. It seems that the G.N.'s really have brake problems, by the amount of questions here. Yes, I have worked with all of the above brake systems, and also air brakes, motor homes, handicapped, military equip, tour trams, limos, etc. I offered knowledge here, that is not normally available, especially in conversions. Those are not in most books. It is learned by doing. If you are happy with the vacuum boosters, great. We have them, and install them, even chromed. Will the hydroboost stop a blown big block 55 pro street? ask the man that owns one. We put one on a 14-71 blown 540 55 chev. 1200 h.p. Yes, it worked. This car carried the front wheels very easily. Will the hydroboost stop a G.N. with stock front brakes, and 7/8" wheel cyls. better than a powermaster? Dreamcar has that combo. It works for him. Will the h/b lower rotor heat? Yes, especially with the rear brake upgrade. Does everyone here have a choice? Of course you do. You can choose any restaurant, anything off the menu, and do anything you want with it. Same here. So, let's have a laugh, and be friends. Bob

I'm laughing at why you won't answer any of the questions I asked you.:biggrin: :rolleyes:

WELL....HMMM...We could all use a laugh, I guess. Yes, I am a nice guy, and I do have a genuine concern for high performance people to be able to drive their cars with speed and safety. If I sound blunt, it is because I have devoted 60 hours a week for 40 years straight to building the best brake systems available, and affordable to everyone. I do put "it" out there. I apologize to anyone who feels that I "shoved it down their throat". Not my intention. Brake systems are the most misunderstood, and taken for granted, part of cars. It seems that the G.N.'s really have brake problems, by the amount of questions here. Yes, I have worked with all of the above brake systems, and also air brakes, motor homes, handicapped, military equip, tour trams, limos, etc. I offered knowledge here, that is not normally available, especially in conversions. Those are not in most books. It is learned by doing. If you are happy with the vacuum boosters, great. We have them, and install them, even chromed. Will the hydroboost stop a blown big block 55 pro street? ask the man that owns one. We put one on a 14-71 blown 540 55 chev. 1200 h.p. Yes, it worked. This car carried the front wheels very easily. Will the hydroboost stop a G.N. with stock front brakes, and 7/8" wheel cyls. better than a powermaster? Dreamcar has that combo. It works for him. Will the h/b lower rotor heat? Yes, especially with the rear brake upgrade. Does everyone here have a choice? Of course you do. You can choose any restaurant, anything off the menu, and do anything you want with it. Same here. So, let's have a laugh, and be friends. Bob

Personally I wish Buick had left the Hydroboost system in the Turbo Regals! I like the Power master, but having the hydorboost system in my 8,000# truck, I definately feel more comfortable with it. I've had to make more than one seriously panic stops, and the hydroboost stopped that 8,000 monster better than some "so-called" sports cars I've owned.
I'm a firm believer in the h/b from that perspective!

My personal feeling is that vacuum brakes have no place in turbo applications, but that's just my oppinion (too little vacuum when you might need it most). And please don't resurect the tired old argument that Pontiac thought vacuum brakes were OK for their turbo T/A. Just because they chose a different route doesn't mean they're right.

I guess it all boils down to: If you haven't driven a certain system (h/b in this case) I don't think you have a leg to stand on beating on it. I drive one vehicle with hyrdoboost, two with powermasters and love them all. I have some pretty extensive seat time driving a friends GN with a vacuum system and absolutely hate it everytime I have to drive it.
That's just me though.
Those that have the experience should address the subject, those that don't shouldn't.

Well, IMO, if you never had a problem with vacuum, but you decided to install the hydro-boost and were happy with it, I'd be happy for you. I'm glad you got your problem solved. ;)

Red Regal T, out of curiosity what is your idle set at? I have another buddy of mine who has vacuum brakes that is going through the same thing I was and we bumped his idle from 850 rpm to 950 rpm and now he is getting a firm pedal. Is that the trick to making the vacuum brakes work?

Back