Vacuum brakes

6APPEAL

Since converting my 2 GN's to vacuum brakes, I've been through 4 brake boosters. I've put in a new check valve with each booster change. It's not really costing me anything, since I have returned one each time under warranty at Autozone. It's just a hassle to change and nerve racking when the failure occurs in traffic, like the booster on my 86 did today. Luckily I didn't hit anyone, but I did go through the light. Has anyone else had this many failures? It's almost enough to make me change back to the Powermaster setup.:(

I'd try to find an original OEM GM booster. If you're buying the booster at the cheapo places (autozone, pep boys etc...) there's your problem. Getting parts from those places is a crap shoot, if it works the first time out of the box your lucky.

Always get aftermarket (important parts) at NAPA or Big A, you'll pay a little more but it'll work and last.

I agree. If you insist on new, then go back to GM and buy one.
I personally have had a used one on my car for the past 3 years and it still works great. Our Monte SS still has its original one and that is being used with a Turbo Buick V6.
No problems here.

As you may know, I sell a lot of conversions and my customers have no problems with the used pieces I sell them. ;)

If these problems are indeed vacuum booster failures, I would change your vendor. Free or not, the price you are paying in terms of your time (Not to mention the cost of risking your life!) is way too high.

I purchased the used setup from Red Regal T and the brakes are fantastic!

The one item I added was a fuel vapor/filter in line before the check-valve. These were stock items from GM on many vacuum brake cars. I found one hanging from a Napa parts display, felt it could not hurt... Might be worth a look.

I would also, on the booster that failed, attempt to find out what exactly failed on/in it. If something else is causing these things to fail, you might get a clue as to what it is. If the diaphram is blowing out, you may be getting boost pressures past the check valve.

The good thing about a vacuum conversion is the link-point of the pedal arm is lower, giving you a little more leverage in a non-assisted situation... Although I have not had a need/desire to try this!

Good Luck!

Well, the 'new' booster is on. Only this time I went to GM and purchased the TTA check valve and replaced the check valve that came on the booster. It didn't look very nice. Hopefully this one will hold up better than the ones in the past. If I get another failure, I'll get a new one from GM or contact Red Regal T.

I still have the booster I took off the car, I'll break out the vacuum pump and see if I can determine what failed. Red Regal T, what booster are you providing with your 'kit'? TIA

I got my vacum brake parts from Rudy@ Red Regal T ...and they look good and work fine....

The check valve on the booster of a TTA is the same as the common valve on all the g bodies with vac brakes. Its the booster that is the issue and if you are losing the power assist to it, then it sounds like the diaphrams are rupturing.