You can type here any text you want

vacuum on car... power brakes

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Gents,

Want to pick your brains here. Here we go!

Installed vacuum brake setup on the 85 GN. Brakes are a little scammer. So... I wanted to verify engine vacuum. Put gage on hose going to vacuum block, got 16 in/mg @ idle. Then, once car got into closed loop, with idle bouncing a little, vacuum reading bounces with engine idle from 10 -12 in/mg. Thought that was a little odd because the cam isnt huge. Running a 206/206 cam. Now, the brakes are working but here is my issue. I pulled the brake booster hose after car was running, got the loud "whoosh" from the vacuum escaping. Here is my issue. When the car is running, if I hit the brake pedal, you can hear the booster "hiss" inside the car. But the booster is holding vacuum. Seems like once I hit the brakes, the cars idle changes a little... idling a little more "lopey" per say. Could the brake booster be bad to the point where once I hit the brakes, the computer is sensing a vacuun leak and trying to adjust for it by dumping additional fuel?

With the BB hissing, it is bad?

Thoughts gents! Thanks in advance!

Chris

The booster could have a leak. Hold the brakes and see if the engine stumbles a little. It sounds like the diaphram could have a leak in it.

Found the problem!

Ok kids!

hooked up a vacuum gauge to the block. Running around 14 15 in/hg. Had the wife watch the gauge while I hit the brakes... got my hiss, and she said gauge went to 5 in/hg. I think its safe to say that my booster is shot. And yes, motor stumbles hard when you hit brakes.

Yeah... I get to change a booster. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies!

Chris

Back