You can type here any text you want

Valuing a super low mileage 84 GN--your thoughts?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dhauser

The end is fear
I have a client who has an 84 GN in pristine original condition with only 5100 original miles. I realize they aren't in the same league as the intercooled GNs with similar miles. But I want to give him some feedback on a consensus of GN enthusiasts. I did a little research and some of the more reliable collector guides put the value at $15-$16k retail.

What do you guys think?

Here's my thought: I think $15k for the car is about all he can expect in this market for that car. Non-intercooled GNs, while much rarer, just aren't in the same demand category, and finding a willing buyer at $15k+ is more difficult.

There was one that sold on Ebay last year for around $15K. To be honest, it was on there many times, and the person who bought it was buying up anything that said GN or GNX. Don't know if this helps, but like I said, it was up there at least 5 times that I know of before it sold. Was a dealer in Texas who sold it.

As much as I love 84's, I would rather have an 87 for the same money. I realize the mileage but I don't think the collectability is quite there yet. I see it being worth $11-13k right now. Do keep in mind this is still a new car and because of that it does have the potential in the next decade to be worth more than the average 87. It's very possible now that a hardcore collector would like a hot-air car in the garage next to his intercooled GN and GNX. I think your client will be competing for the same buyers that would be interested in the 82 GN. IMHO.

Doug,

It sounds like you are on the right track as far as value. 'Texas Direct' had a 5,000 mile 84 that was very nice and I remember it bringing $13-15K on ebay getting sold to a large collector in Florida or also purchased my 800 mile car. While the car is not an 86 or 87 the 84's offer a bit more of a unique feel to them with the Lear seats and interior. Much like the TTA's the 84's are a good value and have not yet come into the eyes of collectors as much as the GNX's have.

In my opinion, it's a GRAND NATIONAL with 5100 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still an awesome car, wont bring as much but is still a collector car that will only gain in value. If I was in the market for one, i personally would pay around $13K as well. 10 years from nowm who knows, $30K???

Doug,

It sounds like you are on the right track as far as value. 'Texas Direct' had a 5,000 mile 84 that was very nice and I remember it bringing $13-15K on ebay getting sold to a large collector in Florida or also purchased my 800 mile car. While the car is not an 86 or 87 the 84's offer a bit more of a unique feel to them with the Lear seats and interior. Much like the TTA's the 84's are a good value and have not yet come into the eyes of collectors as much as the GNX's have.

Herb, that is the car I was talking about a couple of posts up. Have you heard from the guy who bought yours? Still looking for a tour of his warehouse.

Herb, that is the car I was talking about a couple of posts up. Have you heard from the guy who bought yours? Still looking for a tour of his warehouse.

I called him an left him a voicemail a few days ago..waiting for his reply....he has ALOT of cars. Someone who is involved with 'Done Direct' also posts on this board under the name '#359'. They have had some pretty nice GN's and GNX's in the past!

84-85 GN's will always be behind IMHO. they will never be as fun to drive as an 86-87 right "out of the box". the best was to discribe my thoughts is to compare the market on the value between other cars that are the same just different years,such as;

1)1955,56 chevy sedans/belair, everyone wants the 1957 model.
2)1967,68 chevy camaro, the 1969 model is the most desireable.

im not knocking the hotair cars,i love them too and have owned several over the years, with the right tune up,they are very fun, but turbo buicks didnt hit my radar until 1987. ive too seen alot of inflated prices on evilbay,i believe this is because we have newer uneducated owners buying cars.
JMHO. Gary.

Back