valve body, trans question

kustomwerker

i am putting a 2004r into my 79 camaro. its a 350 with fairly hot cam, aprox 8.75 to 1 comp, and soon a tpi from an 87 formula 305. i have a "rebuilt" (soft parts) 2004r that i`m putting a valve body in...it came from bowtie overdrives,and we pulled it out in favor of a full manual reverse pattern unit from dynamic.i have the seperator plate for the valve body, but need to know if i need to remove any check balls.i am also installing the bowtie converter(2400 rpm stall w/lockup) what is the old valve body...its a kc5...the new one used to be a kc4, but they all but cleaned off the paint. will these mods be enough for serious shifts on a 300-350 horse motor and 3800 lb car?do i need the servos??any info would be great from experianced trannie gurus....thanx

I do not have much experience with 2004R manual v-b`s. But, it seems to me the Art Carr and TCI units delete all the checkballs. Your v-b is most likely the same.
As for the v-b difference it will not matter that much with a manual set up.
If your unit does not have a 694 GN servo, or billet it would be a good idea to upgrade that as well.
Behind a Chevy motor the BTO trans "should" be fine.:biggrin:

the 1 im putting in is an automatic valve body done by bowtie od`s... we pulled it out of another unit to install a manual vb...thanx for the reply

If you know the manufacturer of the manual VB, you should ask them about check ball locations. Get it wrong and you could end up burning something and having to pull it back out for repair.

thanks for the advice u2 i sent them an email, and hopefully they can help me fairly soon, as i`m trying to get this assembled on monday...i made the crossmember today and am anxious to install the trans so i can weld it all up in correct location and geometry....