You can type here any text you want

Valve Damge, DIY or engine shop?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ZNix

Young-Gun
It seems that the valves in my right cylinder head are damaged. Compression tests were run, and oil was added, but the compression didnt increase.

This is what i have for readings (not sure if the numbers on the cylinders are correct...):

From front:
L R

1:145 4:150
2:140 5: 75
3:140-145 6:105

As you can see, the 5, and 6 cylinders are the problems, and since we added oil and no change in compression was seen, im thinking its the valves.....

Now If i am correct its the valves, should i re-seat them myself, or have a shop do it?

It seems that the valves in my right cylinder head are damaged. Compression tests were run, and oil was added, but the compression didnt increase.

This is what i have for readings (not sure if the numbers on the cylinders are correct...):

From front:
L R

1:145 4:150
2:140 5: 75
3:140-145 6:105

As you can see, the 5, and 6 cylinders are the problems, and since we added oil and no change in compression was seen, im thinking its the valves.....
Now If i am correct its the valves, should i re-seat them myself, or have a shop do it?

Do the valve stems look slightly lower in the heads on those cylinders/valves? Id fill the cylinders with compressed air to be sure its leaking past the valves and not in the crankcase or elsewhere. You will hear it loud and clear in the exhaust if its that bad.

You need to get the head off first, then you can decide what you need to do. If it's the head you may have damage you can't see so you need to take it to a shop.

Hmm, i guess my post was premature. Should have taken the head off first before jumping to conclusions. Thanks!

My guess is the head gasket is gone. However, I'm with Bison on his suggestion, put some compressed air through the spark plug hole and listen/feel for where it exits.

RemoveBeforeFLight

Ditto

Dailydrifter has the right idea.
It's waste of time to guess.
Leak tester doesn't guess, just tells the truth.

Back