You can type here any text you want

Valve seals

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom87GNX

Can anyone give a good recommendation on what valve seals to use, stock heads with comp 980 springs. My Fel-pro gasket kit came with 2 different types ( 8 of one type, 8 of another). Should I use these, or am I better off switching to something else? Thanks for any insight.

Tom

You can't use seals on stock heads ex valves without modifying the guides.

I'm not really following you here, sounds like your saying the exhaust valves have no seals? I'm new to the TR scene but I've never seen an engine without seals on the exhaust valves.

Tom87GNX said:
I'm not really following you here, sounds like your saying the exhaust valves have no seals? I'm new to the TR scene but I've never seen an engine without seals on the exhaust valves.

No seals on exhaust valves stock. Some modify the guides to accept them but it's only needed if clearances are loose on the valve stem.

Ok, like I said I'm new to the TR's so I'm glad I asked. Thanks to both of you guys for the info.

They don't. When you get the springs off you'll notice the ex valve has a 'shelf' around the stem to limit the amount of oil running down the stem. Since we have a pressurized exhaust, we blow gas up the guide area moreso than normally dragging oil down it.

Now if you upgrade to valves with no step on the stem, it's a good idea to cut the guides for seals.

Back