You can type here any text you want

Valve springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

I have a set of heavy duty valve springs, and on the instructions it says once installed acceleration will be more responsive and the power band should be 200-300 rpm higher. If I install these without changing anything else is this true? Thank you

yes this is true but becareful of how many pounds they are. the recommended specs are 90#+-4 you could wipe your cam out if higher

I thought we were replacing tired valve springs on high mile motors so valves wouldn't float prematurely.

Conrad

alphaenvirmgt said:
I thought we were replacing tired valve springs on high mile motors so valves wouldn't float prematurely.

Conrad

You are.... but Turbo Buicks for whatever strange reason..... have a nasty reputation for wiping out cam lobes...... if the spring pressure is too high (what would normally be fine on most SBC engines)... might be too much for the Buick..... and presto..... wiped cam lobe..... time for full overhaul then.....

Don't let me scare you off.... just be real particular what springs you install.

Call Jack Cotton (see my signature). He deals exclusively with TR's and can recommend the right valve spring for your car. It worked for me.
Conrad

Another option I looked at:

Alot of the people on here recommended Comp 980's. I bought a set from Jegs for like $50. They work fine. There are many threads on using these springs.

I installed comp 979 and used the cups at ~170k miles. The difference was very noticable. High end no longer goes flat.

It was good for about 2 MPH on my car.

It all depends on how bad the originals are. Mine were horrible. I could compress them by hand. I changed them at 100k miles.

My TA has 32,000 miles I'm not sure what size springs they are. It just says 1984-1987 Turbo Regal Heavy Duty Valve Spring Set, and that the dampers are already in the spring. How do I find out what # springs they are. Also is it worth installing them?

I have the replacement spings from GM, but there are not on the car yet.
I can tell you that my old car with 150K lost huge mph because of the original springs! For example 12.9 @ 103 and 12.5 @ 105 first time at the track.
With a good set of springs I should have seen 107 to 109MPH.

If i'm going to install these is there any other things I should change at the same time?

dvernst said:
If i'm going to install these is there any other things I should change at the same time?

You will definately want to change valve guide seals then.......

Blazer406 said:
You are.... but Turbo Buicks for whatever strange reason..... have a nasty reputation for wiping out cam lobes...... if the spring pressure is too high (what would normally be fine on most SBC engines)... might be too much for the Buick..... and presto..... wiped cam lobe..... time for full overhaul then.....

Don't let me scare you off.... just be real particular what springs you install.
SBC's with fast ramp cams wipe lobes just as easily as the Buicks do. The BBC is no exception either. Go roller or leave in a nearly stock cam if you are worried about the lobes s hitting the bed. The springs were worth about 2mph on my old car which was stolen long ago with the stock turbo and 25 psi boost on an otherwise stock engine. Floating the valves could cause premature lobe failure itself.

Back