You can type here any text you want

Valve springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Well last year I rebuilt my bottom end but my top end is not to where I want it. I was going to go with the 5487 edel cam or something similar. I have heard so much about the Comp 980's. There was some topic in the engine section about these but personally I got lost.

Spring cups, a bunch of people said not to use them, I dont even remember seeing them on the motor when I put new guides on. Did they not put them on the earier carb turbo cars?

Dampener spring, use or not? Some say not to use, others say to, whats the best?

Just kinda wanted some input on the CT side of the world.

I have a set of 980's But I am going to install them with shims.
I have used stock GM Lt1 springs on my old '83 ttype block that I just took out of my car, They would be more than plenty for a good carbturbo setup which rarely sees past 4500 rpm's up to 12-14 psi.
980's are cheap and will work too, they are 92lbs on the seat. and about $40.
TA has some springs too. with more seat pressure.
No spring cups on carb turbo engines
I'm a fan of damper springs.

Just checked.

Comp 980 at summit are $34 for 12

Sealed Power LT1 are $42 at NAPA.

Both are cheep but the comps are cheeper and are a little better so im going with them I think.

My thought is Ive got a lifter out on the thing anyways and I should get the heads machined down for fel pro 1000 HG so I get the correct compression. Might as well get the springs and port the heads while Im at it. Might stick in head studs or main studs while Im at it. It keeps growing, AHG!

That is way bigger list than I thought and will take at least a month. Theres a decent 92 Buick Riv for sale locally with a 3800 for $600 that I might pick up as a beater.

Sitting at

$140 for cam
$83 for head gaskets
$17 for new oil pan gasket
$34 for springs
------
$274 for total top end

$402 for total top end with main and head studs

Check out a set of beehives for a 98 Chevy Camaro V8. It looks even better than the comps and I got a set off evilbay for $37 shipped.

Back