You can type here any text you want

Valve Train Noise: T&D roller rockers, GN1 Alu Heads, GN1 Pushrods, ...*Noise on MP3*

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn_switzerland

Hi guys.
I installed the T&D roller rockers (1.55 Ratio). Now, when the Buick runs in idle mode, the engnie sounds good, but when the RPM goes up (~2500 rpm and more) then the valve train is getting very noisy.

I've attached a mp3-file with the "sound". ;)

Do anybody know where this noise comes from? Or does the T&D roller rockers makes such noise?

Any help is appreciated and apologize my English-grammar.

Kind Regards from Switzerland,

Philipp

Attachments

BTW.. Welcome to the board Philipp

Are they 8 or 14 bolt heads?

What cam and lifters are you using? I have found no way to quite down the 885 comp lifters.

Could be a colapsed lifter or a stuck plunger, is you vac gauge fluttering at all?

If you are running more than .400 lift id expect some noise unless the lifter bore locations were blueprinted. Some are quiet some are not.

hi guys.

thank you for your answeres.

1.) I'm using a compcams 206/206 (Part#:69-234-4)
2.) I'm using compcams Lifter: High Energy Hydraulic Lifters (V6 181-252) (Part#: 869-12)
3.) 8 bold head (but 14 holes)

do you need some more details about the GN?

Many Thanks!

/philipp

Ps: Did the sound-File work?

That mp3 sounds nasty! I have 1.65 rockers and more cam and it sounds way quieter than that. I would say something is wrong. What length pushrod did you go with?

I've got the 1.65's with .584 lift and they are pretty quiet... to MY ears... but the knock sensor is telling me otherwise.

I don't know if it's related to the rockers or not, but I can free-rev the motor in park and get 15 degrees of KR.

Sounds llike you have a lifter that is not pumped up or no preload on one or more lifters. How much lifter preload did you add to the rocker arm adjustment? Where was the cam/crank at when you adjusted the rocker arms?

I typically add one half turn on the adjuster after you are at zero lash. Each lifter MUST be on the base circle of the cam lobe before you adjust the rocker arm.

To put each lifter on the base circle:(It really helps to mark your balancer every 120 degrees for this procedure)

Find TDC of compression stroke #1 cyl
Adjust: 5 exh and 2 intake

turn crank 120 degrees
Adjust 1 intake 4 exh

turn crank another 120 degrees (240 total)
Adjust 6 intake and 3 exh

turn crank another 120 degrees (360 total)
Adjust 5 intake 2 exh

Turn crank another 120 degrees (480 total)
Adjust 1 exh and 4 intake

Turn crank another 120 degrees(600 total)
Adjust 6 exh and 3 intake.

I use this process to lash solid roller lifters and set preload on hydraulics.

I have Chrome moly pushrods for flat tappet cam 8.850.

I'll do the procedure as you - turbodave231 - describe.

So I hope the valve train noise will disappeare. Unless the noise isn't gone, I'll not drive my baby... ;)

I'll keep you up-to-date.

I use this method, only need to rotate engine once.

TDC on #1 adjust the following valves,

Exhaust 1 - 5- 6
Intake 1- 2 - 3

Next turn crank over 1 revolution, and adjust the following valves,

Exhaust 2 - 3 - 4
Intake 4 - 5- 6

Back