You can type here any text you want

Valvoline VR-1 20W-50

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Just to make sure I have everything straight:

1) ZDDP levels need to be between 1200 and 1800 but no > 2000 ppm

2) Synthetic vs conventional doesn't really matter; conventional oils may actually be preferred for these engines

3) VR-1 is fine and has enough ZDDP as long as the recommended weight is used (i.e. 10W-30). Oil change interval would be 1500-2000 miles since ZDDP drops 25-40% in that time unless you supplement it in which case you would have to buy ZDDP anyway or change the oil more frequently----> increased $

4) Regular discount oil may be a better/more economical choice since the cost savings (~$1 or more per quart) between it and oils such as VR-1 pays for the bottle of ZDDP and oil changes could have intervals of up to 3000-4000 miles to start with. ZDDP can be added all at once or 1/2 and 1/2.

Also, we've got the mileage interval between changes covered, but what about the time interval?

twice a year sure be enough, unless you have a lot of drag strip runs and use alky a lot, then one should adjust OCI, I do mine personally 2-3 times a year with running about 1-2K miles a year, prolly more than needed, but it is easy for me to do, and it lets me look over the car at the same time.

Ron

I do mine personally 2-3 times a year with running about 1-2K miles a year, prolly more than needed, but it is easy for me to do, and it lets me look over the car at the same time.

Ron
+1 Cheap insurance! :)

1) It don't cost much at all.
2) It don't take long at all.
3) It never hurts to have new oil.

Scot W.

Back