You can type here any text you want

Very weird!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

7wishes

I just bought this car. Its a 83 t type. I know they're supposed to come with carbs but.......It has been running like crap. It wont shift, slow spool, overheats ect... And its all completely rebuilt. These pics show some sensors that I found while under the hood. Vacuum lines that arent connected, and a lot of sensors taht arent connected. Looks like a MAP sensor and two plugs for the injectors.

Let me know if the pics work.

Do I need fuel injection?

Thanks in advance

Daniel:)

Ok, I can't figure this out. Can I have somebones email adress so I can email them to you. Will somebody please post them for me?

You have to have your pix linked from a website, not your home computer... ;)

First, that's a Holley carb, not the factory Quadrajet. The Q-jet on an '83 is electronic and controlled by the ECM. The Holley can not be electronic. Figuring out the sensors at this point is meaningless.

Some poeple tended to think that electronic carbs were too hard to work on and too inflexible to modify, so they like to remove them. They view the ECM and related componets as "emissions crap". I don't agree and have been succesful keeping the ECM.

Early TR's (1978/80) didn't use an ECM, so you have that option. If I were in your situation, I keep the ECM and try and find the right carburetor.

Unfortunately the administrators don't allow attaching (uploading) pictures in the section of the board. :(

Thanks a lot!! Where can I buy a stock carb? Do you guys know of any good sites to look at? Also, what could cause the engine to get hot and the tranny to not shift? Thanks for the help!:D

Nobody makes a replacement carb. You are going to have to find one on ebay or from these buick boards. You need a 17083244 carb.

http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/carbs.htm

There is a TV cable for the transmission that connects to the carb linkage. It's likely that it is misadjusted with the Holley carb.

The air/fuel mixture could be way out off wack causing the over heating. It wouldn't push the engine hard until you can get the right carb and ECM working again.

You really enjoy the car once you get it straightened out. :)

Where to find a carb?

Try Dayton auto parts, they advertise in Hemmings under the Misc. parts section in the front .

I went through the same issue. When I bought the car it ran like s#@t so I stated to take apart things. I redid the vaccum lines, replaced all worn out items - good thing that I have alot of parts stores around LA. Cleaned out the plenium, replaced the pcv, hydroboost, and Carb - from www.carbcareusa.com - stock. The carb that was on the car belonged to an 86 oldsmobile. After all this The car is running great. Got it smogged ant passed with flying colors - after it was labled a Gross polluter.

Do lots of research, some parts will be hard to find or impossible. I had a problem with thermostat housing and bought one that was very close.

Good luck.

I love this car!!!! Carb and all.

Back