Video of timing accuracy

How would we be able to assure that the timing will be set at a set timing to check the stock ECM? If a custom chip was burned with a flat timing table we could get a good comparison. I have access to a stock ECM/IGN turbo buick but at idle the timing will naturally move around especially if the engine is revved since it is using the stock timing tables. With the Megasquirt and I am sure most aftermarket ECM's you can set the timing static for checking base timing. Also in the MS3 you can set spark latency which will help out with "Spark travel" on low count wheels.

,Dan

if you disconnect the maf or esc module, it should force the car into limp mode, which would effectively lock the timing to 10*

I thought about that right as I replied. Unpinning the 5v signal to the module would work just fine as well. I will see what I can do to get a video of a stocker.

,Dan

On a stock '7148 ECM, shorting A & B on the ALDL connector has the SA forced to 15* BTDC. There is even a pointer on the timing tab at that value.

RemoveBeforeFlight