VOLTS light on 83 T-Type stays on???

D

Dlm83T

Anyone have a idea why the dash "VOLTS" light on my 83 stays on when the key is turned off. This just started happening yesterday and ran the battery down overnight. It seems be working fine when the engine is running. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Don

PROBABLEY A BAD REGULATER IN THE ALT.JUST BECAUSE IT'S CHARGING DOESN'T MEAN IT ISN'T BAD.WHEN YOU TURN THE CAR OFF AND THE LIGHT IS STILL ON ,GO UNDER THE HOOD AND UNPLUG THE TWO WIRE PLASTIC CONNECTOR GOING TO THE ALT AND THEN SEE IF THE LIGHT GOES OUT.IF IT DOES YOU HAVE A BAD REG.IF IT DOESN'T THERES A SHORT SOMEWERE IN THE HARNESS.I'VE EVEN SEEN A BAD IGN.SWITCH DO THIS.I'LL BET YOU'LL END UP REPLACING THE ALT.

ok i have a question that relates to this.

i've been told that when you start the car the volts light will come on and stay on until you tap the gas (it even stays on if i put it in drive BEFORE tapping on the gas and wont go off until i put it back into park and tap the gas ever so slightly). is this right or wrong? ive never had a problem with the charging system before for the five years ive had this car. its never failed me or given me a dead battery until it actually did go kaput last year. it does the same thing with the new alternator as well.

to my knowledge this is how the charging system is suppose to work. it has to do with the design of the alternator and having to excite it. right? (its been awhile so ive kinda forgotten!)

Right on 83build-up. The altenator was the problem. Thanks for the info.

E-mail me some pics of that 83 t-type if you have some. I would love to see it. You just don't see them everyday................. unless they are in your driveway.:D

Originally posted by MY85pontiac
i've been told that when you start the car the volts light will come on and stay on until you tap the gas (it even stays on if i put it in drive BEFORE tapping on the gas and wont go off until i put it back into park and tap the gas ever so slightly). is this right or wrong

I have never had this happen to me. Mine always go out right away. :confused:

The "VOLTS" light on my 83 goes out when the engine starts. It probably exceeds the 800 rpms threshold soon as it fires up. I can't ever remember it staying on other than a second or two unless there was a problem with alt.

Never ever photographed it Pat83t. MY grandson is taking a photography class in high school. Might have him shoot some pics of it.