vortex cooling with C02

fullahotair

I posted this on the "other board" as i couldn't figure out how to attach the pdf here. Anyway, i think it be worth the read for those wishing to get a cooler intake charge temp... take a look if you wish....

"I was reading my Avanti Magazine this weekend, and there was an article in there by Dick Datson about using a Vortex (a device that seperates the hot air from the cold air) and C02 to produce an air charge of sub zero temps to spray on your IC for extreme cooling. I got to wondering if this could be useful for the hot air folk. Perhaps use a vortex to "spot cool" the turbo? pre-turbo air? intake manifold? Anyway, i won't get into all the theory behind it, as i have attached the article as a PDF and Dick Datson lays it out in there. (oh yeah i also scanned it in upside down, so you'll have rotate your view)

Just thought it was an interesting approach perhaps the hot air and IC guys could benefit from it... "

Nathyn

if by chance you could "super chill" a particular part of the Hot Air setup, which part would you think would be the best? We/some don't have an IC so we couldn't do that. I was thinking either the intake manifold or the air going into the turbo. You would essentially have this vortex tube, blowing cold air on a particular part, just thinking of places where you would want it blow on...

Nathyn

Aiming the cold discharge at the turbo compressor housing would yield a result equal to anywhere else. The aluminum would conduct the cooler temperature to the air charge I should think. Who knows what the side effects may be on the turbo, bearings, etc.
Shouldn't be too difficult setting something up. You'd have to make some sort of bracket to hold it all in place. Flexible copper tubing insulated to get the compressed CO2 to the the Vortex tube.
Lets make you car the test car :)

I think that this idea makes alot of sense for our hot air owners. Can you imagine the ability with the flick of a switch throwing cold air into your intake on a hot summer day? I take my 85GN out in January here in northern IL when it cold and the streets are dry and the horsepower increase tremendous. When it's below 20 degrees outside the car is like a rocket. Went out today-65 degrees-hardly broke the tires loose- Brad-85GN

I guess you may be able to try to inject it into the intake hose and provide an arctic blast. The industrial uses are more of the "blowing on" use. If you inject into the manifold that would mean it would have to be at a psi greater than whatever your turbo is running, which it may be capable of. ---thats a good idea...

I always thinking along the lines of having it spray across the manifold/turbo to chill it, or something else...but perhaps spraying it into your air intake hose (pre-turbo) would be a good idea...

I am gonna try to dig up some more info...

Nathyn

Would there be any ill effect from C02 in the combustion chamber? If not why couldn't you simply direct the cold air spray directly at a K&N cone filter which would simulate the cold winter temps that aid our cars so well.

I am thinking that trying to chill the intake or any other part may not be the best choice, as i doubt there is enough contact time to substantially cool the air charge. Perhaps a better choice is the already mentioned injection into the "pre-turbo" intake track. Unless you have an IC, in which that would be an ideal location in my opinion.

I don't know what C02 would do inside the engine, that would be something that would need to be determined. If you were to assume using compressed air, then probably the largest limitation is having a large enough air supply to last long enough to make it worth while.

Nathyn