You can type here any text you want

Vsc

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

After talking to Bill today about a converter my lil brain harkened back to a post I read here (I think) about a variable stall control.

Apparently Dale Cherry has been using one of these new fangled thingamabobs....and I'm interested in talking with him.

Does Dale come onto this board and if not does anyone have his phone number?

Thanks.

Chris,
The modification is done to the trans, the convertor is the same. FB performance sells it (Freddy Brown), he is in New York I think. I am not sure if it is available for a TH400, maaybe only a Glide. Gives you an addl. 800-1000rpm

Thanks Bill. I spoke to Fred about this thing....and from what my bad memory can conjure up I'm impressed....if it really works.

Apparently Dale runs one...that's why I want to talk to him. And also John Gallina is experimenting with one.

And what the hell are you doing here....get back to work on my engine.:)

Doesn't anyone know Dale's phone number? Or the name of his shop?

In the Mustang world, FB doesn't have a great reputation. I've talked to a lot of guys running 8.00 or faster and they were destroying his transmissions.

Granted there aren't many Buicks going that fast but still.

I think Richie Kibler has a VS setup in his Powerglide. I dont think he posts here though.

Thanks Bill.

I put Berrel into Google....nada. Tried Berrel Automotive and it popped right up.

Berrel Auto Repair, Inc.
1836 York Road
Abington, PA 19001
(215) 659-9907

hey jay whats going on? yes I have one of these things on my glide. let me know if you need any info

Dunno about Jay, but I'd sure like some info on it.

The main question would be .... does it really work as it's supposed to...having a tight converter for the top end yet through the valve body removing fluid from the converter on the line so as to loosen it up??

And how long have you been using it and have you had any problems with it?

I spoke to John Galina about the VSC....he's (through Duttweiler) going to try one with his new 206" engine in February.

yes it works but I only got about 500rpms out of it. It would be really cool if I could get the 800-1000 like they say, with a v-8 it would do it i think. I have run it all year and have had no problem with it, it went through a melt down with the trans also. I tried a tighter conv. well lets just say it didnt help that one spool up

Originally posted by TURBOKID
yes it works but I only got about 500rpms out of it. It would be really cool if I could get the 800-1000 like they say, with a v-8 it would do it i think. I have run it all year and have had no problem with it, it went through a melt down with the trans also. I tried a tighter conv. well lets just say it didnt help that one spool up

Bummer. And yep, 1000 would be nice.

Apparently they're making some internal changes right now...perhaps they'll be able to get the other 500 rpm before they release it to tranny shops.

Thanks.

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
Bummer. And yep, 1000 would be nice.

Apparently they're making some internal changes right now...perhaps they'll be able to get the other 500 rpm before they release it to tranny shops.

Thanks.
This would be very interesting. I'd also be interested since I'm going to teardown my trans this winter. Hell, guess I can wait till next year since knowing the way I rebuilt transmissions I'll probably be "freshening it up" (read rebuilding) it next year too..... :)

Is this a glide item only? Or do they make one for the TH400? I would love to tighten my convertor up.

Originally posted by HighPSI
Is this a glide item only? Or do they make one for the TH400? I would love to tighten my convertor up.

FB's site says
This system is currently available for use with the Powerglide, Turbo 400, and 4STB transmissions equipped with an FB trans-brake valve body and front pump. It will provide an instant stall increase of 600 to 1000+ rpm; depending upon the amount of engine torque at the preset stall rpm of the converter being used.

Here's the link: http://www.fbperformance.com/techtips/newtip.html

Did you ever consider the lockup converter you were talking about, Cal? Or anybody else with a 400 try one, for that matter?

Kendall, I believe Rob Crisafulli was running a 400 lockup in their 87' Limited that they run on DR's. I think he told me he'd been around 141mph with it on DR's. Said he liked it but was pulling it out and trying something else. Maybe he'll chime in here. Scott

Originally posted by KendallF
Did you ever consider the lockup converter you were talking about, Cal? Or anybody else with a 400 try one, for that matter?

I looked into it, and talked to several people (including the Crisifulli's). I decided that it wasn't worth the extra $$ for me. Lately, I have just been reving the motor higher. I also plan on buying taller drag radials in order to get it into the 8's without over-reving it.

The Chrisafulli boys have it together on the lock up deal but I really dont believe either of them are really happy with it and they have ALOT of time spent on the R&D of the unit.
The FB sounds like the way to go but a bunch of the Ford guys have problems with it....do your research!!
Bill

Thanks Bill. I will ask around.

Originally posted by STP
Aren't you running 315's on it now Cal?

I was running 325/50's. At 152 I was spinning 7250. I plan on trying to fit the 315/60's now that I am running faster.

Back