Want to Run some E85, what is needed?

bholker

I'm looking pretty hard at running a mix of e85. I've got '86, w/ MAF Translator v5.2, Walbro 340, adj regulator, stock size injectors, stock chip, boost gage, and knock sensor.
Ok. I've never really been able to run over 10 psi boost on 92 octane. I sart getting knock. Put in some Koch Power 110 octane, and I can run 17 psi before I start getting knock.
I'd like to go to about a 50/50 mix of E85/92 octane. From the looks of things here that would mean I need to get about 15% more fuel delivered. With the MAF translator looks like I can set the 'base' value biased 10%. Also have control to bias more at WOT. I can up the fuel pressure as well. Will I get enough fuel in there? Do I need bigger injectors? How Big? Will I need a chip then too.
Also, I'd be tuning with turbolink and stock O2 sensor. I don't have a wide band O2.
Any thoughts are welcome. Let me know. I'm going to start trying this out, just want to learn what I can before I get into it.

"Sumptin wrong"...

"Ok. I've never really been able to run over 10 psi boost on 92 octane. I start getting knock. Put in some Koch Power 110 octane, and I can run 17 psi before I start getting knock."

B4 I'd move to E85, I'd want to find out what's going on with the tune, as the car is set up, now.
Something's not right, assuming your above statement is accurate.
Furthermore, I'd seriously consider a datalogger, and a WB system, B4 I got into leaning on the engine w/ E85.

But, then that's just my $.02...Reality may differ.:D

I agree with Chuck....get your car running right first!

Then upgrade your fuel pump, fuel pump wiring, and fuel injectors because you don't want to run out of fuel. A Wide-band O2 sensor would be most helpful.

Chose your chip maker VERY closely or you will be sorry. Make sure he fully understands E85, your setup, and your particular blend (50% 92 and 50% E85). It is tricky business!

Change-out your fuel filter before running E85 and then do it again after a month or so of running E85. E85 will CLEAN out your fuel system so be careful that you don't stop up your fuel filter!

I'm curious...how are you going to make sure you always have a 50/50 mix of 92 and E85 in the tank?

Let us know how it goes!

Conrad

First of all you are running the stock chip. The stock chip has about 24° of timing. Way too much timing for pump 93.

Ok.
I kind of expected the response about fixing the knock at 10 psi issue, I'd like nothing more than to figure that out.

That's the first I've ever read or heard that the stock chip timing is too much for 93 octane. Can anyone else confirm that? I have a Spark translator, that I just haven't installed yet. That should allow me to pull some timing. Timing is actually the one thing I haven't done anythign with in trying to figure out why I get knock at 10 psi. My O2's and all that stuff always look good so it's not running lean so that kind of rules out everything in the fuel delivery (or doesn't it), I've got a walbro 340, and have verified my fuel pressure at WOT and static. I've got a real boost gage so that should be accurate. It's really knock because when I add octane it go's away. I haven't done anything with timing, either measuring it (don't know how you would do that??) or adjusting it. And again it is the stock chip.

As for running ensuring 50/50, can't I just pull up to the pump put 5 gal of e85, then move over and put in another 5 gal of 92 octane? I've no intention of running this at the track everyday, so I don't intend on haveing it tuned right to the bitter edge...

Thanks for the response's so far. More thoughts please.

Not a lot of stock GNs can run the stock chip and 15# on today's gas. With all the stock stuff you got, trim the timing to 18 maybe 20° max. If that does not work give Eric a call...TurboTweak Home Yes I think its your chip.

just put 1/2 a tank of E85 in it and see how it runs.
yeah, i know, it goes against what everyone says you should do, but if you work your way up to a full balls to the wall run, you can find out if anything is going wrong before you really get on it.
like i've said before- i've been running the stuff for 3 summers now on my stock fuel system running the stock pressure, and haven't had a single problem beyond it running like an out of tune carbureted car with no choke in january for the first 30 seconds after a dead cold start. once it gets a bit of heat in it, it runs perfect..

New injectors (60# from Full Throttle Speed) and Chip (Turbo Tweak), are in. Car runs great. Can run 15 psi w/o knock on 92 octane. Have an Innovate LC-1 wideband ready to installl.
When I get that in, and everything tuned, I'll be adding some E85.
I'll keep everyone posted.