You can type here any text you want

wanting to lower my 86 GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNbythebay

I been doing some research and found most people choose drop spindles or lowering springs. Which route should i go? I am looking for a little better handling but mostly for "stance". I defiantly don't want too be slammed. I also don't wanna spend more than $400. What direction would be best? Also my car has stock suspension and wheels/tires on it now (I plan on getting maybe 17 " rims with some bigger tires in the future)

In the Front - I went with the stock rate short moog springs and 1/2 inch taller ball joints.
Out back - I left the OE worn out springs and adding Bilstein shocks with a Hellwig swaybar.

that was my first reply BUT after the way the GN feels (moog) VS how my monte (Eibachs) felt i'll take the moogs any day of the year. Fucking old age is making a move on me lol.
thanks for the input. Would you happen to know the part number for Eibach springs and how low that would drop the car.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-3803-140/overview/make/buick
usually an 1" to 1.5" depends on how sagged your current springs are

when you get some more $$ to play with do the shocks .. http://www.kirbanperformance.com/product/289/Bilstein+GAS+SHOCKS+(4)+SET+#6678.html

david (aka turbopoweredsoft+quiet86) is getting old and he has to drive some treacherous roads in the city so lower and firmer really isnt ideal for him because you feel more of the road and for him its every dam hole in the road and crunching on the exhaust on deep holes .. now its the noisy exhaust that gets him .pretty soon he'll be hitting the cracker barrel at 430AM and shaking his fist at those who drive by with open exhaust dumps ...

heres my x with eibachs
245 /50-16 fronts just a little shorter than stock at 25.6",
255/50-16 rear (same tire height as stock at 26.1")
fender lips are right around 26.5"
87x cecil friday 9-16-2016.jpg

Last edited:
Scot W. from GNS Performance sold me his old setup of DSE (Detroit Speed) 2in drop springs and shocks. Definitely a better ride quality over the old stock setup. No complaints here. Like the look and stance of the car.

the dse stuff is nice.. but op said he wants to be under 400 ...

if money limit wasnt in play ultimate ride adjust with coilover great handling adjustable shocks ..go with scot w ridetech coilovers ...thats whats in my 87 ttop . so far 1.37 60' and can adjust height and firmness without much trouble
heres a pic of the ridetech coilover with 1.5" drop trz fbody spindles ..car was lightened and wanted more drop than most so needed the drop spindle to keep front end geometry

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
the dse stuff is nice.. but op said he wants to be under 400 ...

if money limit wasnt in play ultimate ride adjust with coilover great handling adjustable shocks ..go with scot w ridetech coilovers ...thats whats in my 87 ttop . so far 1.37 60' and can adjust height and firmness without much trouble
heres a pic of the ridetech with 1.5" drop trz fbody spindles ..was able to adjust up for clearance in front

He pretty much cut his price in half since they were used and off the shop test car. What size rims in the back and width?

Just throwing this out there, but if you can save up a couple more bucks, just buy a true bolt in coil over. You will never be disappointed about ride height ever again. It's just an adjustment away from what you most desire. QA1 makes a affordable bolt in set that has adjustable struts. I believe they are about $600 to $700 for all for corners. I went this route with mine to eliminate any hassle of not selecting the correct spring to low my car the way I want it.

how much drop would i get with the eibach springs?

I have these on my car but it has killed my 60ft when I'm racing. I'm going back to stock springs. These will be FS when I change back here in the next month or so.

0612161010a.jpg

Here is mine with the Eibach pro's taken the same weekend after i installed them with a stock wheel setup. it has settled a bit lower since then (about 1/2") Also have the bilstein shocks installed.

IMG_1339.JPG

I have these on my car but it has killed my 60ft when I'm racing. I'm going back to stock springs. These will be FS when I change back here in the next month or so.

View attachment 293155
id tell you its not your springs fault but you wont believe me . i ran many 1.5 60s with eibachs and 3way comp style shocks an hr sway bar no airbags on a 255/50-16 MT dragradials on gtas

what was your before 60' and your after 60' ...and what else did you change

That was the only change in the rear and I went from 1.6 / 1.7 to 1.9's. I think the weight transfer has changed.

I run Bilstein shocks as well with airbags. The ride is a little harder as well even though I love the look. I do run 17's vs 15's. Even when I had stock springs my car set lower than any 87 that I had ever been beside. My buddies 86 the same thing it was always lower than a 87. Not sure if there is something to that or not?

id tell you its not your springs fault but you wont believe me . i ran many 1.5 60s with eibachs and 3way comp style shocks an hr sway bar no airbags on a 255/50-16 MT dragradials on gtas

what was your before 60' and your after 60' ...and what else did you change
If you don't mind sharing, how much was your ride tech set up?

Back