Was running fine and then strarted cutting out

Here's something else to check out. If a known good MAF doesn't cure it, I would pop the cam sensor cap and check the magnet in the cap for signs of rubbing or being cracked but not broken. Touch the magnet inside the cap and see if it wiggles or shows signs of any rubbing. Also check the set screw on the reluctor wheel for signs of being loose as well. Those would be the two areas I would suspect. (MAF or cam sensor)

When the heating element inside the MAF starts to break or get's stretched in the MAF, it can cause very weird conditions, such as you are seeing. A 25 year old MAF sensors' heating element wire, can only take so much right foot abuse without a blowoff valve.

I have also seen similar issues with a car that had a roller cam and a high mileage re-used cam sensor. The sensor shaft and bearing had so much wear, that it allowed the reluctor ring to move high enough to start tearing into the cap and magnet. Pretty soon it cracked the magnet but didn't break it. Car would run fine, but under acceleration once the magnet started moving all heck would break loose with stumbling and running way too rich. I wish you luck on your diagnosis.
Keep us posted.

Patrick

Hey williamsGN.
Nah....it's sitting in my garage waiting for a doner MAF to come out of Lou's shop this week to see if thats the problem.

Hey Patrick.
Thanks I'll pop the cap and see if anything looks funny. I'm pretty sure its a MAF issue since the car stumbles when I tap on the MAF. I'll be upgrading to a LS1 MAF and MAFT PRO as soon as I confirm via swapping a good one on.

This Cam sensor is a repaired one. The tab on the reluctor ring broke off several months back so after the cam sensor was otherwise verified to be good, it's been fixed with the RJC kit.

Hey MC,

Hope you are able to get it figured out.

You want me to tell Lou anything if he stops in Phoenix? (Other than to GTF home!)

Nah...Lou is already aware...he's been pinging me the last few days via PM to give me bits of advice.
Don't rush him or hill get a ticket and then holler at me for being 1/2 stupid...:p

I pulled the cam sensor cover...all good there, so that's not it.

ISN'T THAT YOUR SECOND MAF ALREADY. TIEM TO UPGRADE GLAD TO SEE You got it figured out.

Nope....1st time replacing the MAF. The previous owner replaced it once during the 16 years he owned it, but other than that, it held out pretty well like everything else on the chicken coupe. I'll be upgrading to an LS1 MAF and Maft Pro.

looks like all the street racing is taking its toll ;)
Yup....but it lived a happy life... :D

Start the car. Unplug the cam sensor. Take it for a ride and see if it cleared up.

Already isolated it to the MAF.
SPOOLFOOL2 was kind enough to loan me his known good OE MAF, so I swapped it with mine and took it for a spin...ran like a champ.
Also...when I tapped on my MAF while the car was idling, it caused a heavy stumble in the idle...so it was definitely the MAF.

What maf sensor you gonna go with, the 3" LT1, 3.5" LS1 or the 85mm 3.75" Z06 maf? I went with the Z06 maf for a little added breathing. Also if you go with that one you can tell people your car eats corvettes and it got the maf sensor stuck in its throat.;)

What maf sensor you gonna go with, the 3" LT1, 3.5" LS1 or the 85mm 3.75" Z06 maf? I went with the Z06 maf for a little added breathing. Also if you go with that one you can tell people your car eats corvettes and it got the maf sensor stuck in its throat.;)

LOL
I like that Z06 idea.
For the near term I already have an LT1 MAF ready (got it with the old TA61 I bought from SPOOLFOOL2 way back)....just waiting for the Maft PRo to show up from Full Throttle. Later I'll go with either the LS1 or Z06 and buy the adapters to go with it on my TRC Big Mouth....but now that you gave me that awesome Corvette line to use....I'm thinking Z06 more firmly...:D