water/methanol and race gas?

spork

Alright...I've been reading through a couple hundred old posts on this site as well as many other sites and I've got a question for you guys. Why not run race gas and water/methanol injection? Or would this not be ideal? I mean, you could run even more boost and timing, or am I missing something important. I'm new to methanol injection and I used to run race gas in my car. I'm just wondering if I could run both at the same time and crank the boost up even farther. I'd hate to make my car the "test car" and blow another headgasket. Thanks,

James Roraback

There's sort of a point where you can't squeeze anymore power out of a certain combo, my truck make almost the same power with 20 psi as it does with 26 psi, so adding octane and turning it up does very little.

I'm pretty sure most guys can achieve close to Max potential with just 92, which of course was the plan in the first place.

The tune up is different between the two..whereas race gas requires high timing to burn and alcohol typically works with lower timing.

If I run race gas..its race gas..the alcohol doesnt help it. Now mixing a couple gallons of 112 with the 93 adds a little extra knock deterent if your system cant flow enough alcohol.

There is more to this injection stuff than a modified windshield washer tank with a little nozzle...

Well, first off, I wanna say that I may not belong in this forum because I don't have a turbo buick...infact, I've got just about the opposite. I own a '83 nissan 280zxt with a T3/T04E hybrid turbo. I'm currently running 20psi with my setup, but its the stock computer. I can't change the timing...except my base timing. Anyways, my turbo will produce sufficient power over 20psi without loosing the effiency, but I don't want to detonate. The only unleaded race gas I can get ahold of is only 100 octane. So I'm wondering if the 100 octane fuel, plus some water injection will give me both the higher octane I need to fend off the detonation while being able to run even more boost and the cooling I need to keep things under control as far as intake temperatures. I'm hoping to run some where around 25psi. By the way, if it matters, my compression is ungodly low a 7.4:1. I guess I can just try it next weekend and slowly increase boost and see what happens, but I was hoping to get some info from some people that have tried it. Thanks again,

James

On a side note, my intercooler is very inefficient and the intake pipes are way to hot touch even after a good cool down. Thats why I figured my car was a good canidate for the water/methanol injection. Most of my problems are associated with intake temps, not lack of fuel and so on. Once again, thanks for the input.

There is no reason why you would not benefit from the methanol/water injection.

It will help with what you want to supress detonation and reduce the intake temp. This will allow you to run a few more psi of boost too.

Spray it after the intercooler pipes.

Your original question was about running race gas and alky. When we think of racegas, we're thinking of leaded 116 so you confused the issue a bit. Of course you can run the 100 no lead and get an increase in knock protection running some alky along with it.

Originally posted by spork
Well, first off, I wanna say that I may not belong in this forum because I don't have a turbo buick...infact, I've got just about the opposite. I own a '83 nissan 280zxt with a T3/T04E hybrid turbo. I'm currently running 20psi with my setup, but its the stock computer. I can't change the timing...except my base timing. Anyways, my turbo will produce sufficient power over 20psi without loosing the effiency, but I don't want to detonate. The only unleaded race gas I can get ahold of is only 100 octane. So I'm wondering if the 100 octane fuel, plus some water injection will give me both the higher octane I need to fend off the detonation while being able to run even more boost and the cooling I need to keep things under control as far as intake temperatures. I'm hoping to run some where around 25psi. By the way, if it matters, my compression is ungodly low a 7.4:1. I guess I can just try it next weekend and slowly increase boost and see what happens, but I was hoping to get some info from some people that have tried it. Thanks again,

James

On a side note, my intercooler is very inefficient and the intake pipes are way to hot touch even after a good cool down. Thats why I figured my car was a good canidate for the water/methanol injection. Most of my problems are associated with intake temps, not lack of fuel and so on. Once again, thanks for the input.

Welcome aboard..

Yes it will work..choice of pumps and how you decide to inject the fluid is the platform you will need to work with..once you make up that decision..then its a matter of what you put into the tank.

Do your research and choose wisely..else have to do stuff over again..or get bad results..many ways to skin this cat..whats best for your car??depends on a lot of factors.

Need help..hollar

Julio

Thanks for the input guys. I'm heading to the track again next friday so I'll see how she runs and see what kind of boost the car will take before she starts to see some ping. Sorry about the confusion with the race gas thing...O2 sensors and leaded gas for me never have really worked well together so to me race gas is 100-105 octane....lol. Once again, thanks.

James Roraback

Once you switch over..you'll never go back.

It makes going to the track cheaper..a lot cheaper.

My outings went from 50 down to 20 per track visit..let alone O2 replacements..I hated those..

10 times to the track..the system paid for itself. Actually less if you count O2's

I know what you mean about the o2 sensors...I know for a fact that I went through over 10 of them in the last 2 years. 10x$35=way too much to think about.

James