You can type here any text you want

Water to Air Intercooler

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
tried one in my new TTA way back.... racing gained a little BUT the car was a DOG drivin it on the street :rolleyes:

Its vanilla ice.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Nice passes. I don't believe that the shortblock in that car is the original.Ford sells a service shortblock with blower pistons and forged rods. The stock pistons won't tolerate a lot of chamber pressure and dissipate the heat as well. The liquid core that people are raving about is a variant of Mahle's proprietary design. ZR1 and ZL1 use it.

Although not TR related, I have run a similar system on my GMC sub TD. for heavy towing purposes along WMI.
IMG_9310.JPG
IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9330.JPG

It works real well with the rad/and now dual fan setup I have mounted under the truck.
IMG_9314.JPG

This is just a test fit for me to make the actual brackets and test pump flow back up to the cooler.

Was it worth it?? Yes and no, the WMI works better but the trade off is having a 20 gallon tank under the truck and having to fill it every 400 miles while towing heavy, with a side benefit of steam cleaning the engine, while the WTA is almost zero maintenance. You just have to check for leaks and maintain fluid level.

Water Wetter is just a surfactant. It can't alter the temperature of a cooling medium. (and based on my personal testing it doesn't do anything for heat transfer efficiency)

At least we are mostly if not completely all in agreement that on a strip car the water to air intercooler has benefits. Makes the wheels turn in my head.

Well mine works just fine on the street or the strip and spool up is no problem.
My personal opinion is spool up has everything to do with the converter, turbo housing and the tune up.

Water Wetter is just a surfactant. It can't alter the temperature of a cooling medium. (and based on my personal testing it doesn't do anything for heat transfer efficiency)
Yeah, the $h** doesn't work...Friend had it in his talon and nothing changed. The best thing he did for that car was get it properly tuned and now is spraying meth. He has yet to even get close to overheating whereas before after a full pull he was staring at the gauge making sure it was going down

If the intercooler is used in race form do racers still use a raditor in line. I was thinking run water lines from the water/ice box to the intercooler and return to the water/ ice box. I have never studied the setup. Everything I can find shows water lines running through a raditor before it returns to the water box.

If you're going to run ice, you won't need a radiator (unless your discharge water temp is greater than ambient).

Odds are the intercoolers discharge water won't be hot enough to justify a radiator. If it's still cooler, then the radiator would act as a heat gatherer.

For a race set up that will work just fine. Just have a big enough tank that you v
Can get ice in and out.

I saw a 5.0 mustang with a crank driven blower that used an ice chest with a feed and return line in the bottom of it and he made multiple runs without changing out the ice. He was running low 9s all day long.

If the intercooler is used in race form do racers still use a raditor in line. I was thinking run water lines from the water/ice box to the intercooler and return to the water/ ice box. I have never studied the setup. Everything I can find shows water lines running through a raditor before it returns to the water box.

I use a 5 gallon tank packed with ice to cool a 3000 hp capable liquid to air intercooler and the engine. I use a -20an line from a large bilge pump to the intercooler, a -16 return to the ice tank for circulation and use a -12 from intercooler to the engine. This keeps intake temps in the 80 degree range and the engine under 160 without the added weight of an intercooler. The downside is you will use hundreds of pounds of ice during a weekend race. With a large enough cooler and tank you can get inlet temps into the 50-60 degree range which makes more power when using q16 gas. C16 like we use in the Buicks with front mount coolers like temps above 90 degrees. The reason we use the water to air in the faster cars is because you can't get a large enough air to air to cool over 2000 hp worth of air without having a huge pressure drop. Look at the size of the TSO intercoolers and these cars make around 1600 hp. Imagine the size needed to cool 3000 hp and where it would possibly fit in a car without a lot of room.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It would work like a champ if you could get past those pesky laws of thermodynamics.

Back