You can type here any text you want

Wear Rate Of Standard Blocks?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I'm trying to get an idea of how strong & resistant to wear our engines are. I come from the big block Cadillac world of high nickle blocks. Quite often the cross hatch pattern can still be seen on the Cadillac cylinders/engines with 100 to 150+K on them with no ledge at the top of the cylinder.
How does our V-6 stand up to long term cylinder wear, etc?
What should someone expect to find on a Buick engine with 130K on it?

Thank you
~JM~

I pulled mine recently at 140k after the timing chain went. I barely had a perceptible ledge, more like change in texture, but I really couldn't see any cross hatching left. The machine shop is doing .30 over and 10/10 on the stock crank. The only mods up until then were injectors, air intake and TT chip.

There was a little sludge in the oil pan and no sludge buildup anywhere else. Underneath the valve covers had some black buildup on the covers themselves. I was surprised how clean it was except for all the tiny pieces of nylon timing sprocket.

I'm trying to get an idea of how strong & resistant to wear our engines are. I come from the big block Cadillac world of high nickle blocks. Quite often the cross hatch pattern can still be seen on the Cadillac cylinders/engines with 100 to 150+K on them with no ledge at the top of the cylinder.
How does our V-6 stand up to long term cylinder wear, etc?
What should someone expect to find on a Buick engine with 130K on it?

Thank you ~JM~

Most GM blocks of that era had high nickel blocks, certainly the Buicks, both V-6 and V8 did.

Unless the car/engine was really thrashed in a GN, you would find about the same wear pattern. At least this is our findings on hundreds of V-6 builds. :)

The alloy has less to do with wear than how it was run. If it had a rich mixture it will have a lot more cylinder wear. ive seen them with 150k and minimal wear at the top with honing marks still visible and ive seen them smooth with low miles and a couple thousandths wear at the top. The initial finish and ring used also plays a role. Unless you are looking for a lot of power and are planning on replacing pistons there is little to no power in trying to eliminate the leakdown from a worn cylinder.

Back