You can type here any text you want

Weld Frame

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

27Skulls

Being Sunday, I can't get the answers I need. I have a Millermatic 180 Mig and need to do some stainless steel welding to the frame. Anybody know what I need to buy? I have the Argon cylinder for mild steel welding. Would that work for stainless, or do I need some other gas? Also, what tips?
Thanks for any advice.

PM Norbs with this question...he's a welding maniac. He's probably just sitting on the couch eating scammer Bears. :biggrin:

Argon is used for stainless for tig welding I don;t see any difference why you can't use it in MIG. You should be using 309 stainless wire, for metal to stainless and 308 forstainless to stainless. I have used 309 with no issues on steel to steel so far, and seems more forgiving to dirt and rust. Go to this site and watch the videos

http://www.tonywelding.com/

A 90-8-2 gas mixture will work best on stainless for mig welding unless you are Pulsing or Spray arcing. That's 90% Helium-8% Argon-2% CO2. You can also use a 98% Argon-2% CO2 mixture if you want. They both work well. They should have it at your local weld supply shop.

Back