well.... its a sad day...

something could have been blown through the intake....you said you just put a new screen in it? It doesnt mean its a dropped valve or worse. Its worth a look. Pull off your maf pipe and look at your turbo,thats easy.

Ok guys... update. Tonight I pulled the valve cover off the car. Valvetrain looked pretty good. All the springs seemed to be about the same height. No excessive play in lash... just some side to side play on rockers. Tips of rockers all have same wear pattern.

I then bumped motor over and brought # 6 to top dead center. Looked in the spark plug bore at top of piston. There wasn't even a mark where the spark plug would have come in contact. Weird but ok...

I then move on to oil pan. Drain oil and drop pan. Rotate motor until # 6 is at BDC. Check thrust... matches all other ones. Look at piston, no holes. I then removed rod cap. Bearing is perfect and babit is all intact.

On a negative note, I did find metal shardes sitting in head galleys where intake head bolts are. I am talking some of these shardes were pretty big. Not sure where that shit came from.

So, now my thought is should I rip apart the top of the motor and see whats going on? Double check heads and verify that valves are seated? Could the metal shardes be from the cam lobes? If valves are ok and piston is good, what the hell crushed the plug tip into the electrode?

Looking forward to your thoughts gents...

BTW, what is rod cap torque spec?

Chris

Ok guys... update. Tonight I pulled the valve cover off the car. Valvetrain looked pretty good. All the springs seemed to be about the same height. No excessive play in lash... just some side to side play on rockers. Tips of rockers all have same wear pattern.

I then bumped motor over and brought # 6 to top dead center. Looked in the spark plug bore at top of piston. There wasn't even a mark where the spark plug would have come in contact. Weird but ok...

I then move on to oil pan. Drain oil and drop pan. Rotate motor until # 6 is at BDC. Check thrust... matches all other ones. Look at piston, no holes. I then removed rod cap. Bearing is perfect and babit is all intact.

On a negative note, I did find metal shardes sitting in head galleys where intake head bolts are. I am talking some of these shardes were pretty big. Not sure where that shit came from.

So, now my thought is should I rip apart the top of the motor and see whats going on? Double check heads and verify that valves are seated? Could the metal shardes be from the cam lobes? If valves are ok and piston is good, what the hell crushed the plug tip into the electrode?

Looking forward to your thoughts gents...

BTW, what is rod cap torque spec?

Chris
keep us updated

I still like this answer excepting the large metal shards. :eek:

1. Check to see the piston goes up and down, manually or with starter. OK
2. Check to see valve train goes up and down, pull the valve cover and look. OK
3. Check compression as suggested. ?????
4. Put a new plug on the wire and check for spark. :cool:
5. Put the plug in and try it, assuming 1-4 appear ok. :)

Spark plugs can break, not always due to a collision.

Salvage,

I am going to check for compression tonight. I know spark is there cause I shocked myself last night.:eek: cylinders 1-5 look good. #6 was the only one that was smashed.

I am a little skeptical with these shardes I found. So you dont think I should pull head or check cam lobes? I have always had a discernible "tap" in #6 cylinder. Thought it could be either valve train or compression but before this spark plugh fiasco, all 6 plugs burn pattern were pretty much identical.

That plug got hit for sure but with what? Something may have gotten sucked up. Check your throttle blade screws.

Rick

Rick,

Yeah, I dont know pal. I will definitely check the screws. Just got the throttle body back from Steve Monroe. He specifically said he put locktite on the screws. What are your thoughts sir? You think I need to pull the head?

chris

Thats my next plan of attack Rick. It would be real nice if everything checked out. If it does, it still poses the question as to where the shardes came from and what destroyed the spark plug.

Thanks!

I am a little skeptical with these shards I found.

Use a small mirror and a good light to check the inner damper of the valve springs. I recently had one break and it caused a tapping noise in the valve train. If you pull the rocker shafts be careful not to let a push rod slide into the lifter valley. Almost had one go all the way while replacing the springs.

A torn up valve stem seal can also leak shards of metal from the retaining ring.

A picture with a size reference would be helpful.

RemoveBeforeFlight

When i lost a plug on a motor, it was number one cylinder , i broke a beehive spring,Intake Valve hit the plug an piston,it bent it an cracked the head,was brand new build,Champion fixed it all for free,I'll Never use beehive's again. I always get worse case scenario ...8^(

I will verify. Springs looked perfect. Did see any signs of spring damage at all. I am going to do a compression test and buy a bore scope to look into # 6 cylinder for any shardes. If they both come back good, part of me wants to just put it back together and fire it but part of me wants to know where the hell those shardes came from. Its a royal pain in the ass to pull my intake because of my hot air/ intercooled setup...

ok guys. Here is my plan. Got a compression tester. just going to do a dry compression test. Should give me an indication. Also, I went to our local harbor Freight and bought a bore scope. For $80.00, this thing is nice. Gonna check out the bore to see if there is any shardes or metal pieces in the bore. If both of these come out good, I think I may just put motor back together and give her hell.

Thoughts?

Try to take a picture of the screen on the bore scope. That would be cool to see.

put in a new plug and start it up. ive had plug gaps close up on me when i detonated them hard. salvagev6 is right on the money.