well.... its a sad day...

I am not going to make any decisions on whether or not I am going to get rid of it now. I want to let it simmer for a little bit. I just hate to see the car go back into the garage and just sit there because I dont have the time, money, or honestly the drive to tear it back down again and start over. Higher priorities such as my wife and 2 year old have placed the car on the back burner.

As for price.... if I decided to sell... with everything I have into it if someone were to offer me 10k the way it sits, I would probably let it go. I know that aftermarket parts dont appreciate in value and I know that I would loose my ass selling that way it is. Other things in life are just more important to me now. My wife says the same thing... at least see whats wrong with it. Well, when you pull this out of # 6 cylinder (see pics) you know something aint right.

As far as compression Rick, I did not check that. I am a little leary to turn motor over fearing that it will just disperse any possible chunks of metal through bearings.

The motor still ran. just ran on 5 cylinders. definitely a very loud upper valve train noise coming from #6. If it were a valve, and that happened to the spark plug, I can only imagine what happened to the piston and cylinder wall.....
I gotta block and a few cranks I ll sell u cheapp

I'm sure there are a few other TR owners near you that wouldn't mind lending a hand if they are able. We hate to lose members from our community over being disheartened! Only God knows, there might even be a few guys will to thro some parts your way for little or no money if it were possible?

I'm sure there are a few other TR owners near you that wouldn't mind lending a hand if they are able. We hate to lose members from our community over being disheartened! Only God knows, there might even be a few guys will to thro some parts your way for little or no money if it were possible?
Yeah send me a list of what you might need

I been through 5 motors in last 4 years,lol,I cracked a block on my last round,car still ran great,(less loosing all the rad. fluid in 20 min.).Wouldn't of ran much longer though... It was $3000 for new virgin block, all freshened up ,with complete assembly from my local machine shop. Or if want a drop in from a vender on this board,there about $5000-$8000 depending on options. Sounds like you just lost the turbo v-6 spirit,Hope it returns!!

I been through 5 motors in last 4 years,lol,I cracked a block on my last round,car still ran great,(less loosing all the rad. fluid in 20 min.).Wouldn't of ran much longer though... It was $3000 for new virgin block, all freshened up ,with complete assembly from my local machine shop. Or if want a drop in from a vender on this board,there about $5000-$8000 depending on options. Sounds like you just lost the turbo v-6 spirit,Hope it returns!!
if you dont mind me asking was it that you had too much power or was the tunning off?

if you dont mind me asking was it that you had too much power or was the tunning off?

Mixtuer of 3 things: Tune,Power,An Crappy Machinist...Hope i got it all under control now with my brand new build,If not guess i'm the next guy on the stage II block..heh

Mixtuer of 3 things: Tune,Power,An Crappy Machinist...Hope i got it all under control now with my brand new build,If not guess i'm the next guy on the stage II block..heh
Ohh..well being a newbee I dont plan on putting a stage II in my low mileage Gn..but in 4 or 5 yrs i hope to have a nice t type to put one in...and then I guess i ll be where everyone else is with frustration lol

i was about to quite about two weeks ago after spending 2 days getting my ds header fixed took it for a drive and the flanges on the ps header almost fel off.
i put it in the garage and started thinking thanks to 9 sec six from this board he hooked me up with a perfect ps header got every part of my engine all blasted and painted two days ago and put it all togeter yesterday fired it up today and shes perfect again.
having a turbo buick is like a soap opera lots of drama and broken hearts but those periods were shes working good are some of the best days of cruising its not worth giving up

i was about to quite about two weeks ago after spending 2 days getting my ds header fixed took it for a drive and the flanges on the ps header almost fel off.
i put it in the garage and started thinking thanks to 9 sec six from this board he hooked me up with a perfect ps header got every part of my engine all blasted and painted two days ago and put it all togeter yesterday fired it up today and shes perfect again.
having a turbo buick is like a soap opera lots of drama and broken hearts but those periods were shes working good are some of the best days of cruising its not worth giving up
One of the Gn guys told me..."they'll break you down...but they'll build you back up for sure"

Been there done that many many times! I have had more thoughts of selling this car than any other......I have blown engines and transmissions and I have had soooooo many issues that lots of people tell me"I have never heard of that" LOL! I always seemed to get the not so common problems. This car has kicked my ass all over the place but when I get real frustrated I walk away and come back later. A few years back when I lost a 3rd engine due to cam failure the car sat for a year until I could save up for a roller kit.

I have had chances to get out of TR's.....This is my 3rd GN I lost the first 2 in real bad car accidents........thought about getting something else but these things are addictive!!!!!!!

It sucks and it is a heart ache and a let down lots of us have been there many times.........walk away clam down and get your interest back in it....then pull the engine and see whats going on. Then you can establish a game plan on the rebuild. Get it back on the street and drive it then make a decision on keeping or selling.........when you get it running again my bet is you will keep it!:cool:

Keep your head up your not alone!;)

I appreciate all the thoughts and even some offering me deals on parts. The TB community is a tight knit family which you dont find just anywhere. Its nice to see that people are willing to help me out. Thanks guys! I think I am going to go ahead and tear down the top end and see just exactly what happened. I will keep you guys posted.

Highboostgn, I will send you a list once I see what the damage is.

If all is gone, I have a nice 4.1 sitting in my garage that may just have to be built for this car. Just need to see if it is a 291 casting number. Its just gonna take me a while to get her back on the road.

If you dont mind me asking gents, what do you think I could get out of the car the way it sits now? You all have seen pics. A lot more in the car as well. I did a complete leather interior with billet aluminum accents. Whole suspension is tubular. Just installed a polished stainless steel 4" single shot exhaust on her too.

Thanks again for all the uplifting comments gents!

Chris

With the engine damaged... 4-5k, impossible to really tell over the internet.
Bad time to sell cars with the economy, not sure if that will ever get better. But I think you would recoup the cost of the repair if you just do a basic repair on what is damaged and it would sell faster and should sell for more than the combined price of the repair and what you would sell it for broken down.

1. Check to see the piston goes up and down, manually or with starter.
2. Check to see valve train goes up and down, pull the valve cover and look.
3. Check compression as suggested.
4. Put a new plug on the wire and check for spark.
5. Put the plug in and try it, assuming 1-4 appear ok.

Spark plugs can break, not always due to a collision.

Then worry about all the selling, money, parking, waiting issues. :rolleyes:

Do the two hours worth of work first. ;)

Salvage,

Something definitely let loose. Spark plug was fine 30 mins before all hell broke loose. something definitely came in contact with it. The plug tip.is smashed into the electrode.

Im in almost the same exact boat as you. Picked up my T-type a few months back and its been fix after fix after fix. Currently I'm getting fairly loud valvetrain noise coming from the drivers side. I just parked it in the garage again and haven't looked at it for that last few weeks. I get to dig into it this weekend. Hopefully my summer of cruising isn't over with.

Remember the other thread where someone said "this thread makes our cars look bad",well... this thread is depressing.