You can type here any text you want

well,its apart

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WE287GN

Hey all,
been pulling apart my old BRF ,and so far i have yet to check out the overun and lo/rev clutch sets

but forward's look in good shape, direct's look brown and heated but not really shredded up..and the steels have some hot spots maybe,not black but maybe wear spots??

i sold this to a loacl member and baught it back, i believe it was slipping into 2nd or not shifting into 2nd

all that i have seen so far is the drum has some decent grooves in it ,and the band was eaten up pretty good.

i have a TCI overhaul kit and have 2 spare drums

what should i be looking for in these spares to ensure they are a good replacement?

also do you think the tci band is ok or should i go with that "Alto" was it?

anything else i should be looking for with the 2nd gear slipping issue??

TIA

Chris Pacheco
WE287GN

Just make sure that the drums are not out of round & don't have grooves in them. Finish the OD in a lathe with a crosshatch pattern using some 80-120 emery.

As for the band: For years we have had good service out of that Kevlar band you have there but we made a running change here at TCI, a couple weeks ago, to the Alto band. The Alto has some nice enhancements over the OE style band so it should provide even better service.

Make sure you're getting adequate line pressure rise at WOT. You should, at a minimum, be using a .500" dia. TV boost valve. You also have the option of going with Bruce's sewer-pipe sized .570" valve. :p

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
Just make sure that the drums are not out of round & don't have grooves in them. Finish the OD in a lathe with a crosshatch pattern using some 80-120 emery.

As for the band: For years we have had good service out of that Kevlar band you have there but we made a running change here at TCI, a couple weeks ago, to the Alto band. The Alto has some nice enhancements over the OE style band so it should provide even better service.

Make sure you're getting adequate line pressure rise at WOT. You should, at a minimum, be using a .500" dia. TV boost valve. You also have the option of going with Bruce's sewer-pipe sized .570" valve. :p

Hey Greg , thanks for responding..ya the band on the kit has something like "Bancon" stamped on it, i think i will go with the alto

also i believe i have the .500" tv boost, but the other is stock(reverse boost is it?)

thanks for the input, now to post on the seperator plate

Not that I am disagreeing with the TCI's past and obviously they have picked up on something to have made the change but we (PTS) over the years have never had good luck with Kevlar. I stay away from it. I elected to not use and never use after testing for several companies that sent use Kevlar to test.

Readers Digest version and with no specifics........................
The Kevlar is actually "harder" than the drum surface. It will, if it dont burn up first, eat the drum surface. When they do burn up they have a tendancy to destroy drum too. Just my take after examining bunches of them over the years, sent in for analysis.

Back