Well looky what we have here! Amsoil with a high-zinc additive package.

I've been using the amsoil AMO in my car for almost two years now without adding zddp or anything else. So far so good :confused:

That's one expensive oil change. Almost 10 bucks a quart after shipping. Wowsers.

Looking at this "news" from the turbo Buick world perspective, it is not exciting in my opinion from a cost point of view.

Their web site info is based upon an oil change interval of 15,000 miles. this is at least 5 times what it should be for even a street driven turbo car. It may have the necessary additives for engine protection, but the oil gets contaminated just as fast as any oil.

The boost pushes gas, both burned and un-burned into the crankcase at a MUCH higher rate than NA. This contamination build up, especially at high miles, includes acid which is certainly not wanted.

Oil in street TR's cars should changed at 2-3000 miles. Over the years, hundred of oil changes show at 2K miles the oil smell of gas and residual of lots of other junk.

A car that is raced will drastically shorten this interval, especially if leaded race gas is used and high boost. At 30 passes with my car the oil is over due for an oil change that I found out the hard way - almost no oil pressure as the filter was clogged with crud.

It is amazing how much crud is in the bottom of the oil pan, especially a stock one that retains at least a pint of oil that can never be completely drained.

Try this at your next oil change, after it has drained for 15 minutes, pour 1/2 quart of new oil in the engine and see what comes out the drain. :confused:

This is why we use the RJC or a modified oil pan so we can drain ALL the oil in the pan. When I change oil, I often do the 1/2 quart "flush" just to help remove any left over crud in the bottom of the RJC pan.

I know everyone wants to protect their expensive engine, but just because it costs more does not make it better - applies to other products too, not just oil.

The best protection, change oil OFTEN, and make sure the oil contains the proper amount of anti-wear additive, or add it yourself. :)

Looking at this "news" from the turbo Buick world perspective, it is not exciting in my opinion from a cost point of view.

Their web site info is based upon an oil change interval of 15,000 miles. this is at least 5 times what it should be for even a street driven turbo car. It may have the necessary additives for engine protection, but the oil gets contaminated just as fast as any oil.

The boost pushes gas, both burned and un-burned into the crankcase at a MUCH higher rate than NA. This contamination build up, especially at high miles, includes acid which is certainly not wanted.

Oil in street TR's cars should changed at 2-3000 miles. Over the years, hundred of oil changes show at 2K miles the oil smell of gas and residual of lots of other junk.

A car that is raced will drastically shorten this interval, especially if leaded race gas is used and high boost. At 30 passes with my car the oil is over due for an oil change that I found out the hard way - almost no oil pressure as the filter was clogged with crud.

It is amazing how much crud is in the bottom of the oil pan, especially a stock one that retains at least a pint of oil that can never be completely drained.

Try this at your next oil change, after it has drained for 15 minutes, pour 1/2 quart of new oil in the engine and see what comes out the drain. :confused:

This is why we use the RJC or a modified oil pan so we can drain ALL the oil in the pan. When I change oil, I often do the 1/2 quart "flush" just to help remove any left over crud in the bottom of the RJC pan.

I know everyone wants to protect their expensive engine, but just because it costs more does not make it better - applies to other products too, not just oil.

The best protection, change oil OFTEN, and make sure the oil contains the proper amount of anti-wear additive, or add it yourself. :)

x2

2000 miles for an oil change.. thats 8000 1/4 mile passes. :D

The higher the boost.. the more you beat on it.. the sooner the oil breaks down and gets dirty. Especially on a turbo car with the heat associated.

If you beat the snot out of the car and wait 3k miles.. you'll be building a motor way sooner than latter.

I agree Nick. I truly do not pay attention to their extended intervals, but after using it in man of my other vehicles, IMHO it is better oil. Probably not cost effective as you say, but some of us pay for piece of mind. I am like you and always do the 1/2 quart oil flush every change. My goal here was not to start ANOTHER synthetic vs. dino etc. I was just posting that information up as many on here in other threads are worried about the Zinc content etc. and with good reason. It looked to me that this was a good option for us guys. In regards to their intervals, I do notice they halve the amount needed between oil changes on turbocharged vehicles, so they agree with you to some extent. I personally would never wait that long, and I am sure everyone here is similar. Considering I'll only be putting 3k a year on my car at most when finished, it wouldn't be so bad. I believe this is a new product from amsoil? I could be wrong. Maybe someone out there is already using it?

"Well looky what we have here!"

completely off topic, but nice Back to the Future quote! cracked me up for a bit.

I think the key here is the zinc additive for protection against flat tappet wear, not the oil change interval or any other marketing hype. I've been using the 10W40 for a year or two now. Engine still runs so I guess it's working o.k.

Amzoil isnt hype..It may not be cost effective for the buick which needs frequent oil changes no matter what,but if you in your regular vehicle or your tow vehicle its hard to beat...25,000 mile oil change intervals when you use the amzoil filter...so if you do it yourself for say $25 an oil change every 3000 miles thats $200 worth of regular oil changes plus your time for vs $55 for the amz..

I personally have 2 chevy 2500 expedite vans 1 4.8 v8 and the other 6.0 v8 2006 and 2007 that have been on amzoil since new both use 1 qt between 25,000 mile oil changes... Ive towed a 24 ft enclosed all the way to california from mich and back ... Amzoil saved my engine when my tranny went out at 200,000 miles and i ended up driving home from ky to mich in second gear:eek: After fixin my tranny 2 trips later my engine starts ticking, i stop and check my oil and my engine had 1 1/2 qts in it!!!! :eek: It took 4 1/2 to fill it up and it holds 6!!!
This is the only time my engine has burned more than its usual qt between oil changes and the truck now has 351,000 miles and ive replaced a water pump and an alternator thats it..no ticks no smoke no noticable blowby i use amzoil,lucas and motorkote....Idk which of the three saved my engine but amzoils got my vote!!!!

"Well looky what we have here!"

completely off topic, but nice Back to the Future quote! cracked me up for a bit.

LOl, yes that is probably in my top 3 favorite movies, and me and a couple of my friends refer to quotes in the movie more times than not. I guess I did it unknowingly!:cool:

Why not use ZDDP additave with almost any synthetic oil? Still looking at $6-7 per quart - counting the additive at $10-12.

Another option would be to use motorcycle oil - still $6-7 per quart.