Well, my thoughts of getting back into a TR are done for a while....

tjthorson

Note... I post here because I consider all of you my friends. And yes, i will still continue doing calendars if you guys/gals still want them.... ;)

Those of you that know me - know that really love the TRs. I sold my last one back in 2003 to start a business. Now, 5 years later, things are better, and I had thoughts to get back into the HP game again. I have a Jeep Wrangler as a foul weather driver - and I looked into getting a nice TR to drive on the fair days.

As I spent several months looking - I am finding that as the TRs get older they fall into two camps. The really nice $12K and up cars that I wouldnt want to rack up miles on, and the 125K cars with rust for $7-$8K.

That being said - for a "toy" car - I really like having a manual trans. I had a WRX that leased under one of the businesses a few years back. While it wasnt really fast - it made a fun driver....

So - I stumble onto another one of GMs unheralded cars - the 04-06 GTO.... They were called fat, lazy, slow, etc.... But the reality is, its the rear wheel drive, v8 (or v6 turbo), muscle car we kinda guys love.

I spent a few months watching prices, checking whats out there... There are two different models, (kinda the hotair vs IC thing for us). The 04 crowd, 350hp LS1 and the 05-06 400hp LS2. In pricing, you will see, miles for miles, about a 3-6K difference for an 05-06 over an 04.

I settled on an 04 for a few reasons. One - the LS1 is a great motor, that with some minimal stuff can surpass that 400hp mark anyway. There is a great following and aftermarket for that motor. Secondly - price. Obviously, as a second vehicle, with a wife, kids, etc - I can't go drop $30K on a G8 GT (mmmm.... 6 speed next year)....

I found one close by and went to sit in it and drive it because I didnt even know if I would fit, or if I would like it. The "internet price" was $16,777 - more then I would want to pay - but I was just looking, right? Sigh.....

Went for a drive with the cute blond sales girl, she gives me the old "What will it take for you to buy this car today?" Bad thoughts aside - I threw out $15,000, figuring they would give me the old "our internet price is our lowest, we can go $16,500 blah, blah" - and then I could gratiously leave.

I stuck to my $15K after 2 rounds - and they came to $15,300! I was floored..... We finished the financing, they beat my bank by a point, and I drove it home. I LOVE IT.... What a nice fun car to drive. Tight, comfortable, zippy, nice exhaust note that a 38 year old isnt embarassed about.... Insurance is cheap..... And with the LS1 and 6 speed, the ECM says I get 27mpg at 70mph..... Unreal.....

So - I am still here - still love TRs. But its gonna be a long while until I can have a part-part time driver in the driveway....This is it - the new toy. Blue/blue leather, SAP package (late 04s got the spoiler and 05 hood scoop hood), LS1 with a 6 speed. Love clicking off that traction control....

2056413324.jpg

Todd ,sweet ride..hows the wife and kids???

Dennis

Great. We had to go to a party last night.... The wife and both kids fell asleep while I drove the car - it is so comfortable and quiet.

Until I slam down the skinny pedal... ;)

They look to be fun little cars. I miss my 02 Camaro SS a lot, and I'm sure those GTO's would be as much or more fun to drive. I think you made a good choice. Nothing says you can't have a TR to play with, too. Maybe not right now, but the bug will bite again. :)

Cute blonde sales girl.....hhhmmm......:biggrin: ;)

Nice car. I had at one time considered getting a new GTO, though they really should've named it something other than an old resurrected muscle car name.

Currently driving the wife's 1997 540i for similar reasons; it's fun, unreal at speed, and comfortable...

Congrats! Nothing wrong with the LS1, get some mods and a tune and you'll get over 30mpg on the freeway:D . Nice looking aftermarket hood too, no body will be able to tell it's an '04 vs an '05-'06;)

Congrats! Nothing wrong with the LS1, get some mods and a tune and you'll get over 30mpg on the freeway:D . Nice looking aftermarket hood too, no body will be able to tell it's an '04 vs an '05-'06;)

I was concerned that it might have been hit and someone put the 05 hood on it. The GTO forum confirmed this was an "SAP" car. The late 04s all got a special hood, grill fillers, and spoiler in an attempt to move the 04s off the showroom floor when the 05s with the 400hp LS2 hit the showroom....

The normal 04 grill is black and protrudes out from the center and the 04 has a flat hood. The SAP package has a recessed grey honeycomb grill, with matching hood scoop inserts.....

At 65 yesterday, the computer said I was getting 27.9 MPG, with the family in the car....

Hey Todd, sweet car. Lots of luck with the new purchase.

Looking at the front plate, is there any connection to that Chevy dealer and the guy that has a very nice low mileage GN that attends that GS Nats? I thinks he has some other significant Buicks as well.

I am not sure on that. This dealership is fairly recently built. It started as "Villa Park Chevy" - then a few months later it was Castle. The dealership where its at cant be more then 2 or 3 years old. Never saw any Buicks there....

Hey Todd, sweet car. Lots of luck with the new purchase.

Looking at the front plate, is there any connection to that Chevy dealer and the guy that has a very nice low mileage GN that attends that GS Nats? I thinks he has some other significant Buicks as well.

Those grills go for $400 on average. I like the color! How many miles on it?

Here's mine...

Attachments

• GTO at house 4.jpg
    GTO at house 4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 192
Those grills go for $400 on average. I like the color! How many miles on it?

Here's mine...

Well, it has a few more since I got it. But, its right around 38,000 miles now.

It was so much fun today. You know - I never liked speeding or being unsafe. On residential streets, parking garages, I am usually more like a pace car, doing the speed limit, and having cars in a big line behind me.

If the road is clear, "safe" - I dont mind accelerating up to the speed limit at WOT. :D

So today, I am leaving work, in first gear, doing 10 in our company parking garage with some jerkoff behind me in a Saturn waving his arms and being pi$$ed off at me for going so "slow".

After I left the parking garage, there is a long driveway out of the complex. I turned off the traction control, and just rolled on throttle. Went about 50 feet with both rear tires blazing.... Just AWESOME......

Todd,
Welcome to the herd. I myself joined back in Nov. Here is mine.

R2e.jpg

Red18.jpg

I named him Red Baron.
I catch all kinds of flack for the red wheel treatment.
GTOs are definitely the black sheep of the GM family. One of the best kept secrets GM ever produced. With a little over 37k total cars produced in 3 years, it's no wonder people don't know about them. I rank them right up there with fully loaded '87 Limiteds, with regards to afforable power and luxury. The best message board I've found and have been going too is www.ls1gto.com I'm RUQWKNF on there as well.

Best info out there. Also, you'll be very surprised at just how many GTOs are in your area. Up here, there are easily 30-40 cars within a 60 mile radius. Everything from, Prochargers, Maggies, Gen TTs, APS TTs, stroker motors, N2O combos, N/A combos to stockers. You name it, they're crazy up here. So far I've racked up just over 13k miles on mine and love the car. You are correct about bolt ons. They are plentiful and making power with any LS series motor is easy. As far as any good shops in IL who specialize in them, I'd recommend Modern Muscle in Oswego. Great bunch of guys.
Modern Muscle Inc. Chicagoland's #1 Custom Car Shop As well as Speed Inc in Schaumburg. Speed Inc - Parts Warehouse - FREE SHIPPING Getting into the 12's is relatively easy with bolt ons and drag radials no matter if it's an LS1 or LS2. But be warned, GFI (gofastitis) is not just a disease for Buick owners, it's for everything. I'll leave you with this.

motivator104586.jpg

Good to see you posting again. Have you thought of a name yet?
Welcome back.

Patrick

Wow, nice house.

Yeah, the GTO is my garage queen, the bently in the garage is my daily beater! :wink: j/k The house is 10 times what it looks in the picture. $3M boat docked in back,5 minute boat ride to the ocean, 4 car garage etc. Unfortunately its not mine and the GTO is my daily beater. :biggrin:

Attachments

• GTO at house 2.jpg
    GTO at house 2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 84