Went to the track and.......

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hy guys and gals

Tonight i went to the track and ran a best of 8.90 1/8 mile track but the problem lies in my 2.90 60 foot!

I cannot build anymore then 4 psi of boost at the line. When i get of the line its slow as hell then half track she hits full boost (15 psi) then she goes but how come my turbo spools so slow am i doing something wrong?

Here my combo to the best of my knowledge ( just got the car)
Ta-49 turbo
50 pound injectors
3 inch down pipe
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
And a commander chip
Hooker cat back
3.42 posi rear
Auto meter vac/boost gauge

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Do you have slicks or drag radials? What converter's in it? That turbo should spool really fast

Do you have slicks or drag radials? What converter's in it? That turbo should spool really fast
No slicks and no drag radials i have i 2800 stall but at 4 psi at the line the tires dont even break loose!

Are you sure it is a 2800 rpm stall? You should be able to roast the hides with that combo.
Fuel pressure?
Plugs n wires in good shape?

Do you have vacuum brakes? If so, I have a trick you can try.
Get some slicks and the fun begins.

If you don't know about that chip I would get a TT chip to match those injectors just in case they don't match.
Pull the inlet hose off and make sure the turbo spins very freely. Are you running though the full xhaust/cat or open dump.

I will add that, IMO, 15psi of boost is nothing for that turbo and it may not be enough boost to really get that turbo spinning good/fast. A stock turbo may be better at that low of boost if that's all you're going to run.

ks

Plugs and wires brand new msd wires and ac delco 43ts plugs running complete exhaus and does not have a cat
When i adjust the psi higher its a bit better but still slow as hell of the line with boost at 20 psi i get 5-6 psi at the line!

I dont think you have a 2800 stall. When i bought my car back in the day it had A LOT of misrepresented parts. Be careful turning the boost up unless you have good gas.

I do have a 2800 stall its a lot smaller then the stock one and i forgot to mention i have a th350 and not the original 4 speed!

Dont think so but will check it tomorow!

Crawl under the car and see exactly what muffler/s is on it. When I first got my car it came to me with a Flowmaster and it sounded good but ran just like what your are describing. If you have a 'chambered' style muffler of any brand replace it with a turbo friendly 'straight through' design.

Crawl under the car and see exactly what muffler/s is on it. When I first got my car it came to me with a Flowmaster and it sounded good but ran just like what your are describing. If you have a 'chambered' style muffler of any brand replace it with a turbo friendly 'straight through' design.

They are chambered mufflers what muffler should i put on??

I have 2 magnaflow mufflers laying around should i put those?

But why do chambered mufflers not work well with turbo cars?

They are chambered mufflers what muffler should i put on??

I have 2 magnaflow mufflers laying around should i put those?

But why do chambered mufflers not work well with turbo cars?

If the Magnaflows you have on hand are of the 'straight through' design then by all means put them on there. Chambered mufflers and Turbo Buicks are like mustard and donuts. Hey I like them both but they do not go well together. My best guess is that even the slightest amount of backpressure caused by the muffler will inhibit spool up. So you build 4psi at the line but the exhaust created by this is starting to generate enough backpressure in the muffler to slow down your spool up. The time it takes your turbo to get from that 4psi to your full boost setting is greatly increased by it having to fight against the inner workings of your muffler.

Flowmasters have to much backpressure for TR's. They also scavenge pulse energy from the cylinders which our cars don't have a lot of to begin with and is best suited for V-8's.

I have a dump pipe i will try it with open exhaust see what happens!

I'm thinking it might be a 2800 for a v8, but our turbo is a different animal and requires a different setup. Is it flashing to anywhere near 2800 when you build the boost? That turbo will need a loose converter to get to making power. I think that is why it lags, then comes on strong when it gets rolling.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Sounds like an exhaust leak. That 60 ft says tire spinning or exh leako_O The entire run is just off.

Foot brake the car to 0psi (on an accurate gauge) and report back with rpms it was at @ 0 psi. if you're launching at 4psi and over 2800 rpm on street tires they should be blazing!! Also check around all the joints in your exhaust pre-turbo and especially the frivers side header itself for soot indicating a leak. Also, based on your handful of recent posts, don't be in a rush to race your car if it isnt running right, dont wanna see you hurt your motor!!