wet computer???

sick GN

The computer was wet, not soaked, but wet. The car had a rough and erratic idle. When in idle the car serged up then fall under normal idle. Could the computer cause this if it was wet?
Thanks for any responces.

Pull the ecm wiring harness off and check your connections for corrosion from the water/moisture...Yes, it could cause erratic idling/running, especially if your ecm is damaged from the water/moisture...

Also, check around the heater box for leaks and check your front windshield for leaks...Fix these before you fix/replace your ecm or clean connections or you will end up having the same problems again...

Look carefully for corrosion in the connector at the top of the ECM. It's a fairly common problem with the ECM because of its location (leaky T-tops or weatherstrip causes water to funnel into it). If you find corrosion like a powdery substance, white or light green, the problem won't go away. Cleaning it off doesn't fix the problem because it's the actually the deterioration of the tin plating on the terminal that you see. Once the plating is affected, the terminals will corrode again, causing oxides to collect into the wiring harness connectors. The connector can be replaced; look at:
http://www.casperselectronics.com/c...cgi?search_request_button=yes&keywords=pc+cem

for a new replacement connector. This is the one that is used on the PC board inside the ECM, and you need the proper equipment to replace the part - desoldering the old one is a chore.
-John Spina
http://www.casperselectronics.com

Originally posted by sick GN
The computer was wet, not soaked, but wet. The car had a rough and erratic idle. When in idle the car serged up then fall under normal idle. Could the computer cause this if it was wet?
Thanks for any responces.

I had that problem last summer and it will cause the problems you have had with idle, and running rough. Check the connections at the ECM and the harness for corrosion.

ED

Thanks guys!!
The computer was wet, but luckily it wasn't corroded.
I stuck the ecm in front of a heater and it solved the problem, I think.