What are YOU Giving Up??? To Save $$?

Have either of you considered geothermal heating/cooling. I have been looking into it for a little while. The upfront cost is more, but over time it saves because of it's efficiency.

Also, and I never thought I would say this, but we are strongly considering solar panels. Looking at the initial investment vs what the potential savings are I just can't ignore it any longer. We live in an "historic" (aka old as hell) home that is in bad need of efficiency upgrades. Our power bill is prone to go up to $700/month in the summer months. :eek: The last was just north of $500.

Have either of you considered geothermal heating/cooling. I have been looking into it for a little while. The upfront cost is more, but over time it saves because of it's efficiency.

Also, and I never thought I would say this, but we are strongly considering solar panels. Looking at the initial investment vs what the potential savings are I just can't ignore it any longer. We live in an "historic" (aka old as hell) home that is in bad need of efficiency upgrades. Our power bill is prone to go up to $700/month in the summer months. :eek: The last was just north of $500.

I think solar power needs about 3 more years maybe 5 for the initial investment to get a little cheaper and the efficiency a little better, I think it's seriously just a few % points on both ends to becoming extremely viable for anyone who lives in a moderately sunny place. When you can reasonably see a return on the investment in under 5 years I'm all over it, last I checked it was like 12 years to get a return (meaning that you've saved the price of installation and are now being rewarded for having it).

Exactly how it reads. What are you giving up, or have gived up to save MONEY IN THESE TOUGH TIMES? And there's more to come....

I'll start 1st-

My 2nd Gym Membership- I have the YMCA for my family and a Golds Gym for myself. I'm giving up Golds Gym. My membership is $55 a month- and at a year, that's $660.00 post tax dollars.

Also, my video subscription to Howard Stern on Demand. That's 14.00 a month. That's another $168 post tax dollars. That's a little over $800 bucks for the year savings.;)

What about you guys? Oh, I also gave up eating a lot of Red Meats (expensive steaks, and all) And I also feel better, and my digestive system is thankful....:D
Im not giving up anything. I dont live in debt so there is no need for me to sacrifice anything and lower my quality of life as a result of living the financial edge. If i want additional play money i work a little more to compensate. From what i see on a weekly basis driving (and i drive a lot) people could slow down 15mph on the freeway and save at least $20/wk. Thats would be another $1k/year of net pay retained. Im sure as hell not giving up a gym membership or any thing that could make me more healthy because everyone else is hanging on because of poor financial decisions they made in the past several years. It is very unfortunate i have to get the $hit end of the blunders the financial institutions made. Ive never missed a payment or paid anything late in my life.

I think solar power needs about 3 more years maybe 5 for the initial investment to get a little cheaper and the efficiency a little better, I think it's seriously just a few % points on both ends to becoming extremely viable for anyone who lives in a moderately sunny place. When you can reasonably see a return on the investment in under 5 years I'm all over it, last I checked it was like 12 years to get a return (meaning that you've saved the price of installation and are now being rewarded for having it).

That seems to be what I keep running into with it. My problem is my power bill is so high that I'm not sure even with the increased cost now, it wouldn't still be worth it. It will be at least a year before we are going to get serious about solar. Our first step is foam isulation. This stuff Icynene® Spray Foam Insulation & Air Barrier System – Energy Smart Foam Insulation

a buddy of mine is a dealer/installer and he is cutting me a break on it. Seems to be good stuff, and in an old house like mine there are alot of air leaks that it will seal up.

From there it is a toss up as to geothermal or solar, I like the idea of solar because you aren't just trying to save energy, but actually create it.

Bison,
you are correct sir, for those that have lived within their means and made wise investments this is not the worst time. My wife and I are working on finishing the debt and cutting back in general. Our house has had alot to do with the it. We are fortunate that we do not have much in the way of personal debt, very little in credit cards to deal with. Mostly ours are the cars we drive, my truck has been at zero percent so it is the last thing getting paid off. I am a believer that the only time to borrow money is when it returns cash flow. Borrowing just to spend is a fools errand!

a buddy of mine is a dealer/installer and he is cutting me a break on it. Seems to be good stuff, and in an old house like mine there are alot of air leaks that it will seal up.

Bison,
you are correct sir, for those that have lived within their means and made wise investments this is not the worst time. My wife and I are working on finishing the debt and cutting back in general. Our house has had alot to do with the it. We are fortunate that we do not have much in the way of personal debt, very little in credit cards to deal with. Mostly ours are the cars we drive, my truck has been at zero percent so it is the last thing getting paid off. I am a believer that the only time to borrow money is when it returns cash flow. Borrowing just to spend is a fools errand!

Yeah my house is 23 years old and it loses heat (or cool) fast, I've had the idea of "why not just drill a hole between each stud and fill up the space with foam"? before.

Also, Bison, just because you have plenty of money doesn't mean you can't cut some frivolous things to save money. I'm not gonna compare wallets or bank accounts, and even if I had millions of dollars I'd still be willing to save a buck if it made sense. Not that I don't agree with you, don't think that, I do, far too many people have approached their house as if it were an ATM and bought not just all they could afford but FAR more, screw those idiots, let them fail, it's not like they don't deserve it.

5 years ago when I bought my house I budgeted and bought -half- the house I could afford. Sure I coulda bought a $350K or 400K McMansion but I bought a nice 145K house with "potential" since then I've paid it down to under 110K owed, added a pond, a 12x24 workshed, finished the basement out adding a theater and toilet, logged the trees out and added about an acre and half of grass, upgraded the central unit, replaced the roof. And my mortgage is still around a grand a month and easy to pay.

I also traded off my wife's 05 Yukon because it was too big and we didn't need it. Sure I coulda bought her most any car I wanted her to have, from low end Kia to high end Mercedes but I got her the HHR SS, enough room to make us all happy, enough performance to make me happy, it has Onstar which makes her happy and when I was done dickering we got it for 21K and they gave us 17K for our gas guzzling SUV.

What I'm saying is, I don't feel ashamed for being somewhat "thrifty" even though I don't "have" to be, I just feel like I SHOULD be.

I cut my cable bill because I was paying for a lot of premium channels I never watched, and for phone services I never used, when I cut it down to what I needed, and used, I qualified for a promotional $129 a month plan, plus the HD and HD PVR add on. Just as an example.

Guess what I'm saying is, regardless of how well you planned, why pay for things you don't really need or use or can do yourself (coffee/drinks/etc) cheaper. Plus it's sometimes just kinda fun knowing you just saved $xx dollars on something :)

It sounds real bad, but I gave up going to Cecil to save the $$$ for fuel and hotel costs. I was pretty upset and felt I should have supported the TSO class there but you need to save $$ where you can these days for the rainy day fund..

I don't spend any money on parts unless I get money from selling stuff I don't use anymore...I have talked myself out of all the car events and trips to the track..I definatly took stuff for granted before august..No regrets, but will have to plan on more rainy days in my life then I have in my past...

Not much here.

We try and do all of our shopping in one round trip.

I drive a 20/26 mpg truck (want to get into a newer one but going to have to make due with the 15 y/o one I have now)

We shop at Wal Mart, Aldis and Commissary, looking for the bargain deals.

We don't eat out much and we don't smoke. I do drink but not excessively.

I bring my lunch to work when possible.

We did cut the cell phone bill some but we need to cut it even more. I don't use it that often.

We also got the best deal on hi speed internet, cable and phone.

I try and encourage the wife to open the windows and turn off the lights when possible but she seems to rather leave the lights and the a/c on.

Most of the car parts money comes from selling unused stuff around the garage.

Yeah my house is 23 years old and it loses heat (or cool) fast, I've had the idea of "why not just drill a hole between each stud and fill up the space with foam"? before.

Also, Bison, just because you have plenty of money doesn't mean you can't cut some frivolous things to save money. I'm not gonna compare wallets or bank accounts, and even if I had millions of dollars I'd still be willing to save a buck if it made sense. Not that I don't agree with you, don't think that, I do, far too many people have approached their house as if it were an ATM and bought not just all they could afford but FAR more, screw those idiots, let them fail, it's not like they don't deserve it.

5 years ago when I bought my house I budgeted and bought -half- the house I could afford. Sure I coulda bought a $350K or 400K McMansion but I bought a nice 145K house with "potential" since then I've paid it down to under 110K owed, added a pond, a 12x24 workshed, finished the basement out adding a theater and toilet, logged the trees out and added about an acre and half of grass, upgraded the central unit, replaced the roof. And my mortgage is still around a grand a month and easy to pay.

I also traded off my wife's 05 Yukon because it was too big and we didn't need it. Sure I coulda bought her most any car I wanted her to have, from low end Kia to high end Mercedes but I got her the HHR SS, enough room to make us all happy, enough performance to make me happy, it has Onstar which makes her happy and when I was done dickering we got it for 21K and they gave us 17K for our gas guzzling SUV.

What I'm saying is, I don't feel ashamed for being somewhat "thrifty" even though I don't "have" to be, I just feel like I SHOULD be.

I cut my cable bill because I was paying for a lot of premium channels I never watched, and for phone services I never used, when I cut it down to what I needed, and used, I qualified for a promotional $129 a month plan, plus the HD and HD PVR add on. Just as an example.

Guess what I'm saying is, regardless of how well you planned, why pay for things you don't really need or use or can do yourself (coffee/drinks/etc) cheaper. Plus it's sometimes just kinda fun knowing you just saved $xx dollars on something :)

Our house is 112 years old :eek:

It is beatiful, but leaks air like a sieve! The spray in foam will help greatly given the way the house was built. We don't have to cut walls or drill studs, just come from the bottom and you can see all the way up every wall. Back then they built houses down here to breath.

There is nothing wrong with being thrifty. As a close friend recently put it, time to quit being penny wise and dollar foolish.

I dont burn money but im not going to live like a poor bastard just to save a few more $. Look at the site were on. Owning a TR is a luxury. Nothing about it is really practical. Depends whats important to people i guess.

I dont burn money but im not going to live like a poor bastard just to save a few more $. Look at the site were on. Owning a TR is a luxury. Nothing about it is really practical. Depends whats important to people i guess.

Guys Bison is right.
So the hell with heat and Food we need to loose weight any way.
Now where is my CC i NEED to order that twin turbo stage 5 V6.:eek:

just kidding Dude i get your point.

Guys Bison is right.
So the hell with heat and Food we need to loose weight any way.
Now where is my CC i NEED to order that twin turbo stage 5 V6.

See now you are thinking...........:biggrin:

Drycleaning Less can save $$

Gosh fellas, A/C systems and all. This stuff can cost big money. But a good new system over time, will save more money than all the individual repairs added up. Thanks for sharing. Also, good insulation, putting some window tint on windows in the south where it's hot usually, and using moderate heat only when it's necessary will help out too.

I was driving home the other day, and stopped off at Sears to get a pair of slacks for work. I bought "wrinkle free" dress slacks which are wrinkle resistant and can be worn with any golf shirt or polo. Then I ended up going to pick up drycleaning which always cost me money.

I thought of something. If I go to the Drycleaners a lot less, this too will save me quite a bit of money. I'm going to buy more "wrinkle free" dress slacks and shirts which I can only press myself. I don't like drycleaning bills. I'm going to do a lot less of it. This will save me about $40-50 dollars a month. 50.00 a month x 10 months = $500 12 months = $600.00

I'm going to try and do less if anything. I may not be able to give it all up, but using a $1.99 drycleaners, and doing much less of it, will definitely help save me some money over time... and allow for another Turbobuick upgrade in the near future. I would like a ball-bearing Turbo, but I don't want to say that too loud around my wife... lol! shhhhh

Gosh fellas, A/C systems and all. This stuff can cost big money. But a good new system over time, will save more money than all the individual repairs added up. Thanks for sharing. Also, good insulation, putting some window tint on windows in the south where it's hot usually, and using moderate heat only when it's necessary will help out too.

I was driving home the other day, and stopped off at Sears to get a pair of slacks for work. I bought "wrinkle free" dress slacks which are wrinkle resistant and can be worn with any golf shirt or polo. Then I ended up going to pick up drycleaning which always cost me money.

I thought of something. If I go to the Drycleaners a lot less, this too will save me quite a bit of money. I'm going to buy more "wrinkle free" dress slacks and shirts which I can only press myself. I don't like drycleaning bills. I'm going to do a lot less of it. This will save me about $40-50 dollars a month. 50.00 a month x 10 months = $500 12 months = $600.00

I'm going to try and do less if anything. I may not be able to give it all up, but using a $1.99 drycleaners, and doing much less of it, will definitely help save me some money over time... and allow for another Turbobuick upgrade in the near future. I would like a ball-bearing Turbo, but I don't want to say that too loud around my wife... lol! shhhhh

Thats cool. You would be about half way there in a year on the dry cleaner savings. Your wife shouldnt give you any $hit if you save $ on your dry cleaning and want to spend the $ on a turbo. It shouldnt have to be a secret either. It was your choice to save the $. Not hers. One thing i noticed about a lot of people is that they will give up something or reduce the cost to do something but then at the end of the year they have nothing to show for what they saved. If they have it they seem to spend it. Kind of funny. Those who wait for their income tax return so they can go on vacation. Thats some funny $hit. The last thing i want the IRS doing is holding my money all year long so i can get a refund. Id rather have the $ at my disposal so i can use it to make more $. That tactic is for the poor middle class that doesnt have any control over their spending. I know of at least 15 people who do it. They all have loads of cc debt, car payments, and other non necessities sucking up their income. The last thing id be doing if i had that situation is planning a vacation that would put me further in the hole. They should skip vacation for a couple years, stop charging $hit and get out from under the car payments. After they did that they would have $10-15k/yr each to spend on anything they wanted and could go on vacation at least 3x/yr and not have to worry about how much it costs. But they choose to stay far in the hole. I could never live like that. Id go crazy. This country is in big trouble.

Go to the movies, no going out riding,no 90 mile trips to the drive in once a month,less video rentals,more name brand groceries:D ,NO BUICK PART BUYING!:eek:

Thats cool. You would be about half way there in a year on the dry cleaner savings. Your wife shouldnt give you any $hit if you save $ on your dry cleaning and want to spend the $ on a turbo. It shouldnt have to be a secret either. It was your choice to save the $. Not hers. One thing i noticed about a lot of people is that they will give up something or reduce the cost to do something but then at the end of the year they have nothing to show for what they saved. If they have it they seem to spend it. Kind of funny. Those who wait for their income tax return so they can go on vacation. Thats some funny $hit. The last thing i want the IRS doing is holding my money all year long so i can get a refund. Id rather have the $ at my disposal so i can use it to make more $. That tactic is for the poor middle class that doesnt have any control over their spending. I know of at least 15 people who do it. They all have loads of cc debt, car payments, and other non necessities sucking up their income. The last thing id be doing if i had that situation is planning a vacation that would put me further in the hole. They should skip vacation for a couple years, stop charging $hit and get out from under the car payments. After they did that they would have $10-15k/yr each to spend on anything they wanted and could go on vacation at least 3x/yr and not have to worry about how much it costs. But they choose to stay far in the hole. I could never live like that. Id go crazy. This country is in big trouble.

It's sad but the way you describe those spending habits represents a very large percentage of the American population. Alot of the people I know are exactly like that, I have to admit it took me some hard lessons to learn to avoid those pitfalls.

I'm spending money like always.

Making more money now than I ever have.

:)