You can type here any text you want

What can be done with a TE-61

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeper-6

Like the title says, what can be done with my TE-61? I'm thinking of sending it into one of the turbo builders for a check up due to the amount of crap that was in my oil from a recent engine failure. Is it possible to upgrade this turbo while it's there.

I talked to Precision about this same issue a few months ago, and they said I was better off getting a bigger turbo and selling this one.

I have one that needs a rebuild because of a rub on the compressor wheel. I called Limit Engineering and talked to "Chopper". He said a rebuild was roughly $350...but if the rotor/wheels needing changing it would be $650. He said I could upgrade the rotor to a TE67 for roughly the same price ($650). Chopper said it was cheaper to upgrade the existing than buy new. You should try calling him to verify.

i was thinking of doint the same with my te-44, fornot much more (about $100 depending on the vendor) you can get a new turbo. hth

Shop Around...both The Main Buick Turbo Suppliers Are Selling Outdated Overpriced Garrett Stuff...there Are Other Alternatives..

Shop Around...both The Main Buick Turbo Suppliers Are Selling Outdated Overpriced Garrett Stuff...there Are Other Alternatives..

are you talking T series turbos? or GT turbos? i checked out your links, and they sell garrett stuff for more than the other buick suppliers...what are your 'alternatives'?

....The garrett gt tech is old news,borg warner was doing those wheels 10 years ago.Do a search,unless your brainwashed like most on this board and stuck in 3 bolt mode.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 173
Can you expand on your BW comment. Performance? Was it difficult to install? What did you have to do?

I have one that needs a rebuild because of a rub on the compressor wheel. I called Limit Engineering and talked to "Chopper". He said a rebuild was roughly $350...but if the rotor/wheels needing changing it would be $650. He said I could upgrade the rotor to a TE67 for roughly the same price ($650). Chopper said it was cheaper to upgrade the existing than buy new. You should try calling him to verify.
This is the way to go. Every other option costs more. Upgrading your turbo to a 67 will give you a turbo that will support 730 hp. The service after the sale is the priceless thing about Limit. You'll love the power this thing makes.

....The garrett gt tech is old news,borg warner was doing those wheels 10 years ago.Do a search,unless your brainwashed like most on this board and stuck in 3 bolt mode.

someone is a little gwumpy today:rolleyes: saying 'other alternative' is redundant. and then, after following the links in your sig, and finding the same gt stuff for a higher price, i was curious as to what you meant. i know gt wheels were released in japan several years ago, and only recently made it state side. i'm always open to newer/better tech.

i'm probably the only 3800 guy who is p&p his heads, having them cmm'd and cnc'd. perhaps even cfd'd. i have a 1999 regal...i've been looking for a dual scroll t4.

and you still haven't elaborated on your earlier comment. you're such a tease!

lol,not a tease..lol..ok maybe a little...dont follow my links,they have nothing to do with this stuff...:biggrin:Turbo on a FWD,that will make for a fun sleeper/driver....

lol,not a tease..lol..ok maybe a little...dont follow my links,they have nothing to do with this stuff...:biggrin:Turbo on a FWD,that will make for a fun sleeper/driver....

yeah, it's got to be a sleeper. the popo in ontario can seize your car if it LOOKS like it may have street raced, or may in the future!

i was curious, and here's what i found. bw are not cheap. however, for the same power levels (as pte/gt), the wheels are smaller for better spool. i know t3 housings flow more, at smaller a/r, than 3 bolt housings. so they make more power, and spool faster. it's obviously not a bolt on. i don't know how much of this sleeper-6 can use.

i'm looking at the s258 for 500 whp, and it wants 29 psi! a comparable pte unit (i guess?) is the gt6176 (both have t04 p trim turbines) does it at 22 psi. the s258 has a 58/79 mm compressor wheel, the gt61 is 61.4/82 mm.

i plotted the flow for my car on both maps. they're not on the same scale, so the bw looks broader. the surge line is pushed left, but the garrett wheel works better at lower pr (~2.0). the bw units NEED pressure to work well (~3.0). the higher pressure should move more air through our tiny ports at higher rpm, and extend the power band.

turbo trader did a 503 whp dyno pull with the s366, 24 psi and pump gas (they didn't specify octane).

pte - TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

bw - The Turbo Trader

hth

Back