You can type here any text you want

What Carb?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

V6VegaTex

Hi, thanks for letting me join. I'm building a V-6 Vega hatchback with a late-model (tall ports) even-fire 231 Buick. A friend and I are doing a parts swap, and he's giving me a cast-iron Q-jet spred-bore manifold. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding the right size carb to mount. Anybody have any suggestions for CFM and possibly a part number? The engine will basically start out stock, and the car is intended to be a fun daily driver, not an out-right racer.

Thanks,
Dave English
Abilene, TX

I haven't seen any cast iron four-barrel manifolds. Most are aluminum.

Personally, I'd go with a good ol' Q-jet.

Are they aluminum? Even better. I haven't received it yet, but he shipped it. OK, next question, what Q-jet-- do you have a number? About how many CFM ?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad to see another H-body fan on the board. If you could, find a q-jet that came off a 4.1 v6. It should bolt on and go. Minimal, if any, tuning is required. Sorry, I don't have part number.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Originally posted by gunnervirus

Glad to see another H-body fan on the board. If you could, find a q-jet that came off a 4.1 v6. [/B]

Hi, Ben. I remember you from the old Yahoo H-body club. Many of us old heads have moved to Bob Gumm's message site on www.v8monza.com because Yahoo screwed us up so bad when they changed format. My LT1 Vega is pretty much complete, although I still find things to change and improve. My V-6 Hatchback project is a "low-buck" deal; I'm trying to keep total investment under 2K (except for paint and body) and have it almost as nice as the '76 Wagon. You can look at the wagon on www.h-body.org/people/projects/

Regards,
Dave

If this were closer, I might consider it (blue on blue) :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871418595&rd=1

They all have different ports and plugs, but otherwise I don't think there is a big difference in Q-jets. You want a non-electronic version. Otherwise I'd get one from a small V8 and read Doug Roe "Rochester Carburetor" book. The 4.1 carb would be ideal, but most were electronic (1981 and later).

All Q-ets are either 750 or 800 CFM.

Rich is right. :(

The carb number for the '82 is 17082268. Problem is that it's electronic. If you can find a 1980 non-electronic Buick Q-jet you'll be o.k.

Any other non-electronic Q-jet might pose problems with the throttle linkage.

Although Q-jets are rated at 750-800 cfm's, they're actually alot less. Cutting down the tang off of the secoundary air valve brings the Q-jet to its maximum rating. :cool:

OK, I found what i believe is the correct part number: Rochester 17080244. One came up on eBay, and I won the thing; it should be here next week. My question is, would that P/N be specific to a 1980 4.1 non-turbo Buick engine, ot could it have been used in other vehicles? I'm hoping it's specific, because if it is that probably means it's jetted and metered correctly-- I can bolt it on and go! If not, it might be from a 350 or something and need to be re-jetted and calibrated. Anybody have a good answer on whether that number is specific to the '80 4.1?

Thanks,
Dave

Re: COOL!

Originally posted by Turbo-Rich
The 4-71 supercharged 140 c.i. is awsome!
:D

That ain't mine, but I agree it's cool. Mine is the '96 LT1 in the '76 wagon.

Dave

You found the needle in the haystack. :) That carb should only be for the 1980 4.1 V6.

Back