what ci engine to build

malibuick231

I am looking for some help on what will be the best combo for my car. I have a set of Dart Pro1 230 cc heads and 6in Howards rods. I am about to buy a Dart Little M block and was getting a 4.125 bore because my machine shop guy says the 4in bore is smaller than the head. I have always heard on a street/stip set up smaller ci is better but I can go either way. The rest of the car is as follows.
4l80 with trans brake
3.08 gears
a/w intercooler
pt88 turbo
Just keep in mind I do want to drive on the street and I am looking for 1000hp to the street. Thanks for any input.

I am looking for some help on what will be the best combo for my car. I have a set of Dart Pro1 230 cc heads and 6in Howards rods. I am about to buy a Dart Little M block and was getting a 4.125 bore because my machine shop guy says the 4in bore is smaller than the head. I have always heard on a street/stip set up smaller ci is better but I can go either way. The rest of the car is as follows.
4l80 with trans brake
3.08 gears
a/w intercooler
pt88 turbo
Just keep in mind I do want to drive on the street and I am looking for 1000hp to the street. Thanks for any input.

smaller cube is not better its worse. Like the saying goes "there is no replacement for displacement". With the dart M block u could go up to 434" and still have compression suitable for forced induction with that 23* cylinderhead.

I would change the 3.08 to a lower gear (3.56,3.73).For the street air to air intercooler is the way to go.

My 2 cents

Turbo V8's love a small gear ...period.
Just like anything else, yes there are factors ... weight, HP, etc.
I ran a 2:73 in a turbo V8 street car @ 3400lbs. and it loved it.
Man did that car come out the back door.

Look into 410 inch motor. Bore to stroke is sweat, fast rev, crisp power
Dirt guys have been using then for years and running 9000 rpms and up all day.

Plus .... gives you plenty of rebuilds on the block. What most people do not take into account when selecting a CID, is engine failure. If you go with 434 inches right off the bat ... blow a piston and score the cylinder, then it's either sleeve it, or buy a new block. If you start with small CI then it gives you plenty of meat for mishaps down the road without big costs.

You can make up for the inches with boost.

My 2 cents

Turbo V8's love a small gear ...period.
Just like anything else, yes there are factors ... weight, HP, etc.
I ran a 2:73 in a turbo V8 street car @ 3400lbs. and it loved it.
Man did that car come out the back door.

Look into 410 inch motor. Bore to stroke is sweat, fast rev, crisp power
Dirt guys have been using then for years and running 9000 rpms and up all day.

Plus .... gives you plenty of rebuilds on the block. What most people do not take into account when selecting a CID, is engine failure. If you go with 434 inches right off the bat ... blow a piston and score the cylinder, then it's either sleeve it, or buy a new block. If you start with small CI then it gives you plenty of meat for mishaps down the road without big costs.

You can make up for the inches with boost.

Its funny you say that, I have done just what you said. I went with a 400 ci engine and I wont change my 3.08 gears have run them for years even with the v6. I am waiting on pistons to finish the the engine every thing else is here for it. The headers and cross over are almost finished and I am working on the fuel system had to change every thing on it. The i/c is almost done going to cut out the last few pieces of it tonight. Here is a pick of it two 750hp garrett cores and diy tanks.

Attachments

• IMG00651-20100407-1657.jpg
    IMG00651-20100407-1657.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 227