cam
built block
t-70bb
build th400
innovate wide band
c-16 gas.
pure throttle

20s.gif

I disagree. There is nothing wrong with lock up converters in a car in the tens. You don't have to lock it up at the track but it is nice to have on the street for normal driving.
I agree with the the not locking at the track to prevent breakage but i was referring to converters that are meant to be locked at WOT to reduce et's. The trans must be built around this type of converter for reliability. From my experiences with the 9" nl's produce better 60's than the lock-up units of the same stall speed with hard launching cars with slicks and t-brakes. They are very soft on the trans internals also. The lock-up units will offer better results on cars with drag radials and foot brake launches where they need to make up et up top running at nearly 100% efficiency. His initial question was what $ does it take to run 10's, and its cheaper to run a non locking converter for reason of increased reliabliity in the trans and better 60's since we assume the use of slicks. If i was driving 10k a year id want a lockup also. I will be doing some testing this year with various racing lock-up and non locking converters to show the differences in quarter performance.

Here's my version, based on personal experience...this does include extra BRF tranny, and a new built 109 block and lots of spare go fast parts I've collected along the way...

13's -$4000
12's - 10000
11's - 20000
10's - 25000+

I have less than $7500 invested in my WE4 and it runs 10's. The $7500 is the total for a fresh motor, ported heads, turbo, intercoooler, injectors and built transmission and coverter and other supporting mods. I always run a lock up converter and never have an problems with them. I personally know of a T-Type with a VIg lock up that has ran 10's for 3 years with zero trans problems. It goes to the track at least 8-10 times a years and goes street racing a lot.

you are only dipping into tens but question was tens but the math on just what you said doesnt seem to work

ported heads 1000 and up (
200-4r trans/converter to live at tens 2500
injectors 300
turbo 800-1300
intercooler 750-1100
(all prices dont include install labor )

dont see much room for a motor ,support mods , gauges ,logging equip ,tires
or neeeded safety equip for tens , can it be done on 7500 , i dont doubt it but you have to be getting some great deals on the hardware (as in used) and , doing all the wrenching and leaving out a lot of safety reliability items

It has only gone 10.90's so far but it has more in it and that was done on drag radials with only a 1.72 60' foot. That was also the first trip it made to the track so the tune was pretty basic. Ported heads were $500 from my engine builder(stock valves). Intercooler was $450(used). I have now gone to a front mount so that should help performance also. Turbo was $900 new. I have about $1700 in the trans and converter. At that time I only had a Scanmaster, but I have added Direct Scan now. That money was all parts, I do all of my own work except for the machine work on the engine and I did have the short block prefessionally assembled. The short block has center billet mains, Eagle crank, and forged pistons. I used a stock balancer converted over to internal balance along with a JW nuetral balance flywheel. Another good way to save money is by going with a flat tappet cam. I have about $170 total in my valve train which comes in quite a bit cheaper than a roller set up. My previous T went 10.81 @ 129 mph with a 45A, ported irons and a 206/206 flat tappet cam on DR's and almost the exact same parts and held together for 2 years before I sold it.