What does this do?

Sal Lubrano

I took this transmission out of a friends car and I am curious what this electrical connection was installed for and what does it do?

Attachments

• 100_1163.jpg
    100_1163.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_1165.jpg
    100_1165.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 241
i was think more of the lines of a lockup swith. hook a wire to it and ground it for lockup

Temperature switch. When it gets too hot it forces lockup of the converter.

Not sure why but I have only seen them in the MCSS trannies and nothing else. Could be installed in others but I have not personally seen it. Chris (CK) and Bruce (PTS) would have more information.

switch

I just dis assembled a CT-F that had one. Trans came from bone yard so don't know what it came out of.

Eric has the correct answer to what it is/does, as to why it was used in some and not others I have no clue. But many 700R4 owners wish it worked as it was suppose to, was used in most '87-'93 models with aux. valve bodies.
I could not begin to count the number of overheated/roasted/burnt to the ground units I've seen with purple/black converters and melted "Everything".
Trucks being the majority, operating under heavy loads(towing) and with converter unlocked will force converter to overheat, sometimes creating a fire after pump seal gives out spraying fluid onto exhaust. Nice idea but never worked quite well.

Kevin.