What exactly does advancing timing mean/do?

WhiskeyGN

Seems like a rookie question but I've never really looked into the meaning of advancing timing or how its done. I was wondering if you guys could tell me, and specifically for the TRs.

When you advance the timing you are firing off the spark plug sooner/earlier in the compression stroke. It starts the combustion event sooner which produces more HP and TQ.

I am not trying to be rude. If you are asking this questions, you probably shouldn't be messing with the timing.

Improper timing can either hurt performance....or worse.....hurt an engine

-Will

On a turbo regal timing is controlled by the computer so,in order to change timing the computer program has to be changed. The modern chips,for our cars,have the ability to adjust certain parameters. Timing is one of them.

Haha I wasn't gonna mess with it myself I was just curious. I know on my 5.0 mustang it was a matter of turning the distributor. I thought there was something else to do with moving the timing chain or something to that effect. I'm waiting on a Turbo Tweak chip that I knew changed the timing from the computers aspect.

you can advance and retard the cam timing with some timing chain sets.. advancing the cam relative to the crank builds more cylinder pressure sooner, which helps with low end torque.. retarding the cam timing slows down the cylinder pressure build up, which moves the powerband up higher in the rpm range. of course you have to readjust the cam sensor if you move the cam timing around, but that only controls the injector timing on these cars. but if you have a car with a distributor, then it would affect the ignition timing.

www.howstuffworks.com used to have a very good page about how everything in a 4 stroke internal combustion engine works, complete with cool animated gifs that showed how it all works together to make your car go "vrrrooomm". they even had pages about ignition systems, turbochargers, and fuel injection that make for good basic introductions to how it all works.

edit: just checked the howstuffworks site, and it's a major advertiser fustercluck these days.. it used to be a nice basic educational site...

On a turbo regal timing is controlled by the computer so,in order to change timing the computer program has to be changed. The modern chips,for our cars,have the ability to adjust certain parameters. Timing is one of them.
Let's rephrase this just a bit. On 84-87 (SFI) cars you need to adjust the timing with the computer. On the 78 to 83 cars they use a distributor and can be adjusted just like any other car with a distributor with some exceptions.;)

Read your sig...
Semper Fi!
My son is a 3rd generation Marine prepping for AFG
D o_O