what front brake mods for street GN

That was mfg'd by GMC,
the one that used a old tornado engine set up, ( 455 olds, FWD)
I'll check the GMC site to see what the numbers were.
and get back to you.

I had one of these GMC motorhomes and as the front suspension was the same as the Toranados that they came from, they used the larger calipers which will not fit a G body spindle. Same as full size GM cars.

Marty

I've been looking at the Wilwood front brake kit for a while now, it's about $600. 4-piston front calipers.
Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kits: WIL-140-2508-B - summitracing.com

There's also this kit with 2-piston calipers.
Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC)

Frankly, comparing the two, the cost of the Wilwood kit makes more sense.

I just ordered the ssbc calipers for $370 to my door. I have cross drilled rotors already. Thinking this made a little more scense for me.

I've been looking at the Wilwood front brake kit for a while now, it's about $600. 4-piston front calipers.
Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kits: WIL-140-2508-B - summitracing.com

There's also this kit with 2-piston calipers.
Performance Disc Brake Search Results from Stainless Steel Brakes Corporation (SSBC)

Frankly, comparing the two, the cost of the Wilwood kit makes more sense.

I too was looking at the Wilwood kit for 600. For what you get, It doesnt seem to be a bad price and it should utilize all the stock parts. Is this good for a street car? I believe it is because wilwood sells a drag only kit.

I just ordered the ssbc calipers for $370 to my door. I have cross drilled rotors already. Thinking this made a little more scense for me.

Thats a good price, where did you get them? Gotta take me for a ride and let me see how those stop.:biggrin:

I ended up going with a 12" F-body setup. With the Wlwood or SSBC kits, I'm sure having dual/quad piston calipers and better rotors will provide a nice improvement in stopping distance but you're still limited by the dinky stock rotors. Having larger rotors plus much larger pad area should be nice.

I ended up going with a 12" F-body setup. With the Wlwood or SSBC kits, I'm sure having dual/quad piston calipers and better rotors will provide a nice improvement in stopping distance but you're still limited by the dinky stock rotors. Having larger rotors plus much larger pad area should be nice.

Did that stick your wheels out a bit more or was it the same?

for real braking performance upgrades, skip the drilled rotors. slotted rotors might help a little bit if you to a lot of repeated stops, but all drilling does is decrease the mass of the rotor- and thus, the amount of heat it can absorb- and create a bunch of stress risers where cracks can start.
for a cheap and easy upgrade, there are calipers sold thru circle track suppliers that have bigger pistons and bolt to the stock "metric" spindle.
beyond that, the C4/C5 (84-05) Vette and LS1 (98-02) Camaro 12" and 13" brakes can be made to bolt up with a little fabrication for about $500, or just buy it as a kit from places like Baer for only twice as much.

I thought it is the 1982 to 1992 (3rd Gen F-Body) rotors and calipers that we need to go to 12" brakes???

I sell the LS1 front brake conversion kits. I have a set on my '86 T Type & my son`s '84 GN. We both have vacuum conversions, the LS1 set ups help make up for the lost braking converting to vacuum. You can use them with powermaster also. You will need to use 16" or larger diameter wheels with this conversion. I can sell you a complete assembled kit, or just the brackets if you want to build the kit yourself. Robert

Could you pm the price of one of your kits? TIA

I sell the LS1 front brake conversion kits. I have a set on my '86 T Type & my son`s '84 GN. We both have vacuum conversions, the LS1 set ups help make up for the lost braking converting to vacuum. You can use them with powermaster also. You will need to use 16" or larger diameter wheels with this conversion. I can sell you a complete assembled kit, or just the brackets if you want to build the kit yourself. Robert

On this conversion, how much do you charge and does it move the wheels outward more? I thought I read it pushes them out a bit.

Thats a good price, where did you get them? Gotta take me for a ride and let me see how those stop.:biggrin:

Scott, I just saw your post, ended up being $390 from gyrhead.com. I'm still happy.:biggrin: They came today. When I get them on, we'll go for a blast. :wink:

I don't have my Fbody brakes yet but from what I've read it only makes about 1/4" difference in the position of the wheel. Shouldn't create too many fitment issues.

it should be 1/4 wider on each wheel so if it is lowered and a wider tire might have clearance issues. i think sombody said on this site or another site that they machined something to get rid of the 1/4 differance?????

Not to hijack or anything, but I REALLY want to upgrade my brakes this year. And I am trying to figure out what I should do.

I like the idea of the S-10 brakes, but I dont like how you are buying all old used cr@p... I kinda want something I can rely on.

So how much do you think it would cost to buy all the components seperately? I can get the spindles for $50 for the pair...

Also, Is that wilwood setup for the street? Work with stock wheels?

I just want to upgrade my stuff and do it in the most economical way possible.

Every dollar not spent on brake upgrades can go towards the laundry list of other stuff I need!

You have a PM.

Scott, I just saw your post, ended up being $390 from gyrhead.com. I'm still happy.:biggrin: They came today. When I get them on, we'll go for a blast. :wink:

Let's us know how they work? I have really been leaning going this route myself but have never heard any feedback from anyone using these.

Dannyo

Not to hijack or anything, but I REALLY want to upgrade my brakes this year. And I am trying to figure out what I should do.

I like the idea of the S-10 brakes, but I dont like how you are buying all old used cr@p... I kinda want something I can rely on.

So how much do you think it would cost to buy all the components seperately? I can get the spindles for $50 for the pair...

Every dollar not spent on brake upgrades can go towards the laundry list of other stuff I need!

I did a search on Summit and it appears that Wilwood setup is not DOT legal, so I would say its not for the street. I'm under contract negotiations at work, and when I get my retro check (if that ever happens), I am going to spring for one of those BAER brake kits that Jack Cotton sells.

Still interested in those wheels? :D

If you buy the spindles for $50.00, new hub bearings (SP450300) are $200.00 each, Wagner loaded calipers (L134303 & L134304) are $75.00 each, plus $50.00 core. About $750.00 total. This is why we buy "old used crap". You can test the hub bearing, rebuild calipers, it`s cheaper.

On this conversion, how much do you charge and does it move the wheels outward more? I thought I read it pushes them out a bit.

I sell the LS1 front brake conversion kits for $550.00. It comes ready to bolt on. It does move the wheel out approx. 3/8". Some are surfacing the G body hub to remove it, But I think it makes the hub too thin to be safe. I have the GTA front wheels on my car now, going to try the GTA rears, should pull the wheel back in. Give me an email address & I`ll send pictures.