what front brake mods for street GN

Drilled and Slotted Rotors from Napa, and Ceramix Pads from Napa. HTH

dsc00618du2.jpg

for real braking performance upgrades, skip the drilled rotors. slotted rotors might help a little bit if you to a lot of repeated stops, but all drilling does is decrease the mass of the rotor- and thus, the amount of heat it can absorb- and create a bunch of stress risers where cracks can start.
for a cheap and easy upgrade, there are calipers sold thru circle track suppliers that have bigger pistons and bolt to the stock "metric" spindle.
beyond that, the C4/C5 (84-05) Vette and LS1 (98-02) Camaro 12" and 13" brakes can be made to bolt up with a little fabrication for about $500, or just buy it as a kit from places like Baer for only twice as much.

skip the drilled rotors - all drilling does is decrease the mass of the rotor- and thus, the amount of heat it can absorb- and create a bunch of stress risers where cracks can start.

I've heard the same thing about drilled rotors. Certainly won't be putting any on my car. Slotted if anything.

the C4/C5 (84-05) Vette and LS1 (98-02) Camaro 12" and 13" brakes can be made to bolt up with a little fabrication for about $500

Good conversion ideas as well. The LS1 swap looks really easy except for finding or fabricating a bracket to hold the caliper to your stock spindle.

I'm looking to up grade the ft brakes on my GN still using powermaster, what are most doing?

I sell the LS1 front brake conversion kits. I have a set on my '86 T Type & my son`s '84 GN. We both have vacuum conversions, the LS1 set ups help make up for the lost braking converting to vacuum. You can use them with powermaster also. You will need to use 16" or larger diameter wheels with this conversion. I can sell you a complete assembled kit, or just the brackets if you want to build the kit yourself. Robert

Anybody Useing The Metric Calipers With The Big Pistons ,and Do They Stop The Car Better

my 2 cents

I used the larger metric calipers on my GMC motor home.
std are 2.5, metric are 2.75.
they did improve stopping, and had the same pedal pressure, as they exert more clamping pressure on the pads.
they are not a cure for fade, as your still using the std rotor, you can avoid some fade by upgrading your pads to ceramic/ carbon ceramic, but again the same rotor, ( it can only disipate so much heat)
I liked the improvement, and would do it again if I felt my GN needed it.
hope that helps.
cruzn57

Thanks Crunz,,,i Have The Bigger Wheel Cylinders In The Rear And I Feel These Calipers Will Complement The Bigger Rear Brake Cylinders And Balance Out The Brake System.....its A Cheap Modification And I Will Try It.......i Guess Summit Is The Best Place To Order Them......i Am In Florida

check

local auto zone, or Napa, I think mine were about $22 ea, not sure of the application, but were std on some Gm cars.
rubber hose will need to be changed, but is bolt on deal, check on hi perf pads, as the stockers will be marginal.

OOPS,,,some thing is wrong,,,summit sells ,,U.S.BRAKE calipers metric 2.75 in oversize .....for 79.95 dollars......just checked

CRUZN...i can not see a motor home useing metric calipers,,to small ,i believe you are useing a type of police pack,, station wagon ,, big calipers

I've had the Aerospace kit for years now and dig it, hard to beat at $700 for the fronts while saving off a lot of weight ( 23lbs total ).

I've had the Aerospace kit for years now and dig it, hard to beat at $700 for the fronts while saving off a lot of weight ( 23lbs total ).

Is this a stock spindle kit or a replacement? I'm trying to keep my stock spindles to avoid the car getting raised/lowered or having the wheels stick out further etc. All around less complicated to find a kit that works with stock spindles.

Stock spindle, needs to have 2 holes tapped and then sawsaw off a part of the spindle ( so pretty much you ain't going back ).

You need to run a 1/2" spacer with the kit due to the caliper etc. Most guys running stock rims and even 235's etc won't need to worry. Guys like me with 265/50's, well that took a few calls to Summit for some new Centerlines ( 5" B.S. ). :mad:

Stock spindle, needs to have 2 holes tapped and then sawsaw off a part of the spindle ( so pretty much you ain't going back ).

You need to run a 1/2" spacer with the kit due to the caliper etc. Most guys running stock rims and even 235's etc won't need to worry. Guys like me with 265/50's, well that took a few calls to Summit for some new Centerlines ( 5" B.S. ). :mad:

Thanks for the info. Sounds similar to the way you have to cut up the spindle for an LS1 conversion.

I have Baer 12" brakes up front. I had to go to the '84 - '85 15" GN wheels. I blasted the black paint off them & it is difficult to notice these wheels are not '87 TType wheels. The original '87 T wheels cleared with a 5/32" spacer, however I dislike spacers.

I was able to get my Baer 12" from Jack Cotton for a price which made the Baer decision a no-brainer.

I wanted the TR to appear original.

I'm at a loss attempting to understand why GM went with drilled rotors on the Z06 Vette - I have been led to believe drilled rotors are prone to crack. Does GM have the crack problem under control or is this a $ issue per the drum brakes on the rear of the newer Silverados????

this was mid 70's GMC motorhome

CRUZN...i can not see a motor home useing metric calipers,,to small ,i believe you are useing a type of police pack,, station wagon ,, big calipers
That was mfg'd by GMC,
the one that used a old tornado engine set up, ( 455 olds, FWD)
I'll check the GMC site to see what the numbers were.
and get back to you.

ok, here is what I found

these are auto zone part numbers.
please use a tape measure to confirm the piston size
left caliper PN 90185
right caliper PN 90184
left brake hose PN 77320
right brake hose PN 77421

check and see to make sure the piston size is 2 3/4 ( or larger as they make an 80 mm caliper also) ( which is over 3 inches!)
let me know if these are the right parts.
thanks

If you want to keep the 86-87 GN wheels, the S10 11" brake conversion is the only one that will fit.

With T-Type or GTA wheels you can go with 12" brakes.