what goes into building a turbo?

IronEagle119

Ok guys, I've been kicking around the thought of what goes into and is needed to build a turbo. If there's no special tools needed(i really have no clue as to whats needed) then whats stopping anyone from building their own turbo just like the vendors do? But I'm gonna guess that there's alot of skill/technique that goes into building turbo's.

just because of what is all envolved and the heat and speed of the propellers i would never think of it....if I did it --- it'd save me time to just chuck a grenede in the engine bay

>>it'd save me time to just chuck a grenede in the engine bay

That's pretty fun, :D it'd make a good T-shirt or something.

The actual assembly isn't very difficult. The clearances are the trick, oh, and getting the little C-clips out. :rolleyes:
Try taking one apart and seeing how it works.

This is exactly what I had 2 posts about (search tangofox in the last 2 weeks). I called United Turbo in NH yesterday. What I wanted to know is if it was possible to take the compressor from a F*#d powerstroke diesel (which I have) that is a T04. It has the same exact bearing housing as ours. What they told me from United was to use the back plate, wheel and housing from the T4. He also said that I could try it a few times to see if it is what I wanted, then send it up to get it electronically balanced for longivity. I'm thinking it would perform like a tubonetics t3/4 set up.

ok, maybe if I'm more specific I'd get some more response. Can you upgrade parts on a stock turbo? Could I swap compressor housing's and/or exhaust housing's? I have a stock turbo still and would it be possible to put a PTE exhaust housing on it, and eventually change the compressor side of the turbo, kind of like a bolt-on :confused:

That I couldn't tell you. It seems to me that it will most likely be no. There are extremely tight tolerances on them. It may be like trying to get Buick parts to fit on a Mopar (slopar). From my (very) limited knowledge, your best bet is to go with Garrett parts. But don't quote me on that. If I were you, I'd get hold of somebody at either PTE or Turbonetics and see if they are indeed compatable. That way you won't be getting opinions, like mine;) . I recieved more info in a 20 min. phone call than in 2 posts here. This seems to be one subject that eludes the Guru's. Good luck:cool:

Well, all the sizing and efficiency and blah blah blah aside, you COULD physically put one together, however, as someone mentioned above it has to be balanced as an assembly (compressor wheel, turbine wheel, and shaft) and you probably dont have the equipment to do so.

As far as replacing seals/bearings in your own turbo and putting it back together, go for it. Take apart a known dead stocker before you open a can of whoopass on a 1200 dollar turbo though.

Originally posted by IronEagle119
ok, maybe if I'm more specific I'd get some more response. Can you upgrade parts on a stock turbo? Could I swap compressor housing's and/or exhaust housing's? I have a stock turbo still and would it be possible to put a PTE exhaust housing on it, and eventually change the compressor side of the turbo, kind of like a bolt-on :confused:

Short answer: Not really.

The upgrade turbos use various combinations of turbine and compressor wheels, with either Garrett or aftermarket housings. The housing must be machined specifically for the wheel used. In other words, a TA-49 compressor wheel will not fit in a compressor housing that's been machined for a stock compressor wheel.

So, you can change wheels but you'd have to either buy matching housings each time or send your housings to be machined.

I've rebuilt several turbos including a couple of stockers and a TA-49. As long as there has been no housing contact to unbalance the wheels, they've been successful. If there is even slight blade damage, it'll fail. There's a good article on the procedure at www.gnttype.org .