You can type here any text you want

what head gaskets..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Depends on what heads you have.

If the block is o-ring'd I would use stock gaskets.

I would always use a stock style head gasket they are like a fuse if you have any problems with your tune or some other type of problem. you are only changing a gasket set and not a melted piston or damaged bottom end ect.

The only headgasket I ever used on an O-ringed motor was a copper gasket. :confused:

ok.. cool.. where do you guys buy your gaskets? ill need copper head and then intake, etc.

The only headgasket I ever used on an O-ringed motor was a copper gasket. :confused:

i have champion alu. heads that are o-ringed and i run stock style gaskets. had a cpt66 running 28lbs and detonated and got a bearing but didnt blow gasket. now ive got a 76gtq that saw 35 psi twice for about 2 seconds and didnt blow.maybe im lucky lol. wastegate stuck and the car popped i got out and looked at my boost and got back in it at it just kept going. got me a new pt 46 gate thats going off the header next week!!!!

so im torn now.. stock, copper!!!

depending on what you do with the car. driver id go stock. 1200hp race car eh copper lol. i just no its alot more maintance with the copper. well i say that. i dont know first hand but i do know that i personally havent had any trouble from stock with my o ringed heads but yours could be different.dunno they work for me though. i do use arp bolts and i did heat the heads with a heat gun and retourqued them twice just to be safe. good luck on your choice.

dunno man im shooting for the same. i made 723 to rear tires with mine on a dyno jet dyno at 30 percent load at 23lbs of boost. now who knows if those numbers are even close though its just a dyno pull lol. but im sure there were some pressure on those head gaskets at 23 lbs with the 76 gtq. held up for me. again some of the other guys can tell you more than me. im still very new to buicks. i will tell ya i thought about trying to have my heads surfaced with the wire still in them so i could use cometic or rjcs head gaskets just to be on tha safe side. guess ill cross that bridge when i get to it though lol

I'd listen to the guys that have built and run 1000+hp motors. :wink:

A stainless wire O-ring in the deck is designed to embed into a soft copper gasket. Sometimes a receiver groove is also cut into the cylinder head so the displaced copper has a place to go.

Using a stock embossed, composite or steel shim headgasket on an O-ringed block is just asking for trouble.

True, some may have gotten away with it... but that doesn't mean it's the correct way to do it.

Running copper gaskets will require a little more attention to detail when installing... like RTV silicone around all the coolant passages and occasional retorques if necessary.
I'd also HIGHLY recommend running a very low PSI radiator cap to help ease the pressure in the cooling system and to keep the water where it belongs.
If the motor gets hot for whatever reason, it will push water past the rad cap instead of the headgaskets.
I use a 7psi cap on my car and I only run the Cometics.

Can't use a stock gasket with an 0-ringed block.

Your only choice would be a copper HG. I don't know how well the copper gasket is going to seal with 4 head bolts/studs per cylinder.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

there ya go man those guys know im sure. also my block is not o ringed its my heads. one thing thought is i bet jayc has a decent idea of what will work. im sure hes build a few stout buick motors. again im definatley not telling you to run stock gaskets im just letting you know in my case they worked so far.

Back