What in God's name happened to my Fuel pump and Harness??

gnfanatic

Well, after 7 years my primary pump stopped working. I dropped the tank down and was shocked to see the power wire in the fuel pump assemble got so hot it melted its own insulation, fuel pump socket and a piece of the gas tank baffle! The harness was getting 13.8 volts at idle, grounds were excellent and everything was done right including relay. Had no issues for about 7 years. The secondary pump still works. I am wondering if the primary pump wire is to thin to take the 13.8 volts?? i doubt it though. Any comments??

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 277
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 270
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 262
7 years is pretty good. I would fix it and put it back in. You can run a little heaver wire if you want. Don't think it will hurt anything.

Good Luck.

Thanks chris, but I am not comfy on what I found. I am trying to figure out why it happened.

is thats a red double pumper? 7 years and that happend. thats not expectable period. your lucky your car didnt catch fire

Agreed. scared the hell out of me. I dont even remember where I bought this double pumper from. Does it look like a red's??

Pump locked up, [or was under a heavy armature drag], amp draw went to the max. Wire load capacity was less than the draw.
Also, check the ground resistence.
It's been running hot for some time. Notice the corrosion on the main, none on the second.
How is the system fused?

Guys.......we have electric fuel pumps sumerged in gasoline.....there's always a chance it could go BOOM!

Bad ground somewhere? Chase your fuel pump wires to make sure there are no issues anywhere.

hey chuck. I have grounds all over. Even the gas tank is grounded. All 10 ga wire. Maybe the wire was not the proper gauge for the draw?? I have 10 ga all over except for the stock wiring harness as you can see.

Chuck has it right. High resistance from either the pump or the grounds causes amperage to climb, melting the wires. This is not unheard of. The reason the tank does not explode is that you need fuel, spark and oxygen for combustion. Inside a tank there is very little of the latter.

Yea... I have to go with Chuck's assessment as well.

yes it is hotwired. It must be the pump. I would like to install a larger wire in this harness but where do I get new connectors on this double pumper??

yes it is hotwired. It must be the pump. I would like to install a larger wire in this harness but where do I get new connectors on this double pumper??
Have you pulled the fuse and relay to inspect the terminals and sockets?

# 10 wire is plenty heavy enough to carry a Walbro 340. Are both pumps being powered on 1 #10 wire?
Ground wires have to carry the same load as the power wires. Hi resistence/poor connections will create the heat we see here.
If the ground is run thru a bulkhead connector on the hanger lid, there may be an issue w/ the quality of that connection.
The burned pump looks like the plastic top has been dislodged from the metal body. Check the difference in hgt of the 2...