What is my fan 'supposed' to do when I shut the car off?

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
If I pull into the garage and the fan is running because the engine is hot.....is the fan supposed to stay on when I shut the car off?

If I have the air running I know the fan is supposed to automatically turn on but if I shut the are off isn't the fan supposed to run for a few minutes after?

Just wondering if I have a bad relay.

It should run for about 5-10 minutes after you shut down if you've been using the A/C and the car's fairly hot.

If it doesn't, it's likely a bad fan delay relay. Wont really hurt anything not working, but it's always nice to have eveything running up to snuff.

Dave right. I believe that the engine has to be at least 220 as you shut it down for the fan to run

I always thought it was the A/C pressure switch keeping the fan running for a few seconds after shut-down. If I turn the A/C off and let it idle a little bit the fan won't run when I turn the car off, but if I shut it down right away after A/C off it will run.

The fan delay relay won't turn on unless the temp gets up to 220degF....and then the fan will run for about 10-15 minutes.

I ~think~ the a/c pressure switch will keep the fan running until the pressure in the a/c system goes back down.

John

I have seen that slight fan delay with the A/C and shutdown of the car. Prolly just one or two seconds to drop the relay coil out.

Relays fuse loses power when the key is turned off so the only way the fan can run is through the delay relay. It is powered on at all times from the powermaster circuit.

It can go on at ANY time after it senses 220.

Just last week I picked up my lunch went into the cafe. to eat and was walking outside with the guys on a 90 degree day. The delay relay kicked in again when we were walking past the car. That got my attention as the delay relay for the WE4 is in my sock drawer. Well, so far the one in the GN is working ok...

I am having the same problem with my car. But mine will stay on till the battery is dead. My question is will the coolant temp. sensor be bad and keep the fan on too after shut down?

Thats a bad coolant delay relay..

Originally posted by Squirley87
I am having the same problem with my car. But mine will stay on till the battery is dead. My question is will the coolant temp. sensor be bad and keep the fan on too after shut down?

If the sensor switch line is shorted to ground, or the sensor itself is bad, the high speed fan will stay on all the time while the car is running key on, or not running key off.

It is just the delay relay itself if the fan comes on when the car is shut down only.

Mine hasn't worked in 12 years but recently began draining my battery when off. My car rarely even gets to 190, so I just unplugged the relay.
While on the subject though, I've always wondered how effective this really is if the coolant temp switch is located on the block/intake, how will the fan help cool it down much, the fan will mainly cool the water in the radiator and would have to run for a very long time before it started cooling the block in any way.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Gravity flow? I dunno... :D

All the hot air sucked out of the radiator by the fan running does go over the engine block too.

Originally posted by salvageV6
All the hot air sucked out of the radiator by the fan running does go over the engine block too.
Didn't think about that too, not to mention the IC sheilds most of the block from getting any air once the water in the radiator is cooled down some.

Squirley if the coolant fan runs on high while the car is running it could be the coolant switch or wiring to it.

My fan runs all the time no matter whether the car is running or not or if the key is on or off. I replaced the large fan relay on the driver's side inner fender but that didn't fix the problem. I have to unplug one of the wires to the relay to get it to shut off.

Got it figured out!!!

The relay that I thought was for the fan was for something else. I checked on GNTTYPE.org to see which one it was suppose to be, well on my car the relays were not where they were suppose to be and I replaced the wrong one.:rolleyes: So I just disconnected the plug to the relay and run the fan off of my Manuel switch when I drive the car.

bingo.. I knew something was fishy when ya replaced the delay relay and it did not solve the problem..